H 41 CHAIN REPLACEMENT

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I think is time to replace my rusty chain, after all the reading i am very confuse, the best set is a 10 mm bbb chain ? what is your setup? i have the original windlass and i think it can accept severals size of chain. after my new 25kg Rocna, this will be my next purchase, please help.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Most gypsys are pretty particular about the chain. The wrong chain will cause excessive wear. I use 3/8 BBB. 10mm is pretty close but not sure what the link length is.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I would check with windless manufacturer to make sure which chain should be used with your gypsy.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I think is time to replace my rusty chain, after all the reading i am very confuse, the best set is a 10 mm bbb chain ? what is your setup? i have the original windlass and i think it can accept severals size of chain. after my new 25kg Rocna, this will be my next purchase, please help.
Our gypsy will take only 5/16" chain. I use G4 high test, which is stronger and more resistant to corrosion than BBB as we sail in sea water. Also purchase USA made chain by ACCO for the bast quality. Check out your local industrial chain supply outfit. As I recall I paid around $4 per foot a few years ago and still looks new. Make sure it is hot dipped galvanized and not just galvanized. Big difference in corrosion resistance. Avoid off shore stuff, just junk.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Disassemble your windlass and take the gypsy to your chain supplier. Normally the chain size should be marked on the gypsy, but your chain supplier should be able to identify the chain fitting your gypsy.
Otherwise buy 3 ft of chain of the sizes you think will fit and try on the boat for best fit.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When I replaced our chain several years ago I borrowed a chain link cutter from the chain supply house, cut a few links from the old chain, took it to the supplier and they matched it up. No problem. Most places will let you borrow a cutter for a few hours in order to get your business.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have 1/4" chain. I cut it with a #20 red handled tool that looks, and works, just like the marine #200 ones. ACE Hardware. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I installed my windlass I bought chain that matched the spec on the gypsy.
Pretty easy.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Make sure it is hot dipped galvanized and not just galvanized. Big difference in corrosion resistance.
+1 on the hot dipped galvanized. Found a nice image of the cross section of hot dipped galvanized:
1582773838427.png

Hot dipped galvanized is the only form of zinc coating that has the 4 distinct phases found above. All other methods only produce Eta phase, 100% Zn. Note that the Eta phase is only about 70 DPN hardness. That's pretty soft and zinc coating can wear off fairly easily, especially on anchor chain. Look at the significant increase in hardness as you go down in the different phases. Once you wear down, through corrosion or mechanical wear, to the Delta phase, the coating hardness is getting pretty hard, in fact, harder than the base steel. This base steel is not a hard steel, more of a normal mild steel. But that doesn't affect the zinc phases. Once you get down into the Delta phase, the chain may begin to get a rust like reddish coloration, but in fact, the base steel is still being protected through the zinc coating.

Just a FYI....

dj

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLAY.
My question was about your setting, what do you have in your boat, and what kind of chain have you purchased.
I think i will go with BBB 3/8 chain with 200 ft of it and rope.

Jan 5, 2017
I think i will go with BBB 3/8 chain with 200 ft of it and rope.
That's a lot of chain, I don't know if you have to worry about coral or not, and weight may be a consideration. We use 100' of 3/8 BBB plus 250' of rope here in the P.N.W.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
That's a lot of chain, I don't know if you have to worry about coral or not, and weight may be a consideration. We use 100' of 3/8 BBB plus 250' of rope here in the P.N.W.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE WINDLASS BETWEEN THE CHAIN AND ROPE TRANSITION ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought my chain right here from SBO.

ACCO high test anchor chain, 105ft x 3/8 inch
and Yale 8-plait non hockling anchor rode, 5/8 inch, 200ft,
then had them Splice Yale Plait to Anchor Chain.

Very easy and fair priced.

Should be able to get 6-1 scope in 50 ft of water. I hope.

Jan 5, 2017
Should be able to get 6-1 scope in 50 ft of water. I hope.
Most anchorages on our part of the coast are so sheltered you can be quite happy on 3to1 but.......and there is always a but.... the times you anchor and the wind pipes up(you feel a lot better with more road out) and the many times the bay is 60 to 80 feet deep.