H-27 Hull Liner Replaced- A Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HN

Several months ago I wrote to ask for advice on replacing the liner fabric on the walls of my 1978 H-27. Well the results are in: I stripped off the old fabric and the foam was in good shape underneath. I purchased a very heavy, close weave upholestery fabric and used the old fabric panels as templates leaving about 1" arount for cutting and final fitting. I then spread liquid nails construction glue on the foam with was still on the hull and garefully placed the fabric on top, pressing the fabric into the glue. I used lots of latex gloves to prevent getting the glue all over. I let the glue set for a hour or so and trimmed the excess. The change is great. I've gotten OOOHS and AHAAAS from everone who has seen it. Thought you might like to know how it turned out. Thanks for the advice out there....

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Still holding?

There was no tendency to pull the foam off the hull towards the top by the weight of the material? And how much did glue did you use on the foam? Soaked through and through?

D

Doug

For others looking to do this job

We did this last year. We did somethings differently. You might want another idea as well. We scraped the inside of hull with razor scrapers and then acetoned the walls to clean very well and kill any remaining critters. Then we purchased a foam backed vinyl from Hunter marine (alachua, fl....talk to mike in parts) for only $14.00 a yard (local stores charge twice that plus). Then using the proper 3M adhesive spray (for foam and foam backed materials) on both surfaces we adhered. Make corrections very, very quickly because it sets quick. It looks beautiful and because it's the same vinyl that Hunter uses on new Hunters and Legends it makes our 12 year old boat look new inside. Also, due to it's light ivory/offwhite color...it brightens it up below deck. Good luck to those brave enough to tackle this job.

H

HN

How much glue?

Between 1/32 adn 1/16" of glue enough to form a skim coat on top of the foam. The consistency of the liquid nails is very thick, like peanut butter or toolth paste. No drips, no sags, and NO soak through.. I tested with a block of foam and the material first.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Thanks, more questions...

Given the thick consistency, how did you spread the glue to a 1/16" fine even layer over the foam? (Paint roller?) and does it stay wet until the entire area is covered with glue, or did you glue one section at a time sequentially?

H

HN

Glue Thickness

I used a 3" putty knife, liqudi nails stays "wet" or does not skin for about 30 minutes. The foam backing was only about 1/4" thick so it didn't deflect too much when I pit the glue on. The thickness is not so improtant as long as you don't pool it on so it oozes out.

H

HN

Questions II on Glue

Sorry, I forgot, I worked on one section at a time. It took about 1 3/4 gallons of glue and two days. KEEP THE HATCH OPEN AND WORK ON A WINDY DAY WHEN ITS NOT OO HOT LIQUID NAILS HAS A POWERFUL SMELL, better yes yuse a respirator.

R

Royce

Use 3M spray adheasive

Use 3m spray adheasive, spray both the boat and the back of the fabric, let it set and then put the fabric on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.