Gurgling manual head

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Morgan 44 cc Wherever anchored
Hi all. So, our forward head started gurgling and burping. Even splashed back waste a time or two. Gross. I thought the vent was maybe clogged. I can’t snake tank vent because of tw0 90 degree glassed in elbows going to tank. But I did take hose off tank side vent. Used dinghy pump to confirm air made it outside of the boat. When my wife pumped the toilet, I blocked tank vent then released it and air came out.
So. I don’t think it is the vent. Any thoughts?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When was the last time you rebuilt the pump & replaced the joker and flapper valves?

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Stu
This is a brand new head. Installed mid November 2019. New noses etc...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Joker valve isn't the problem or the solution. Gurgling and burping is caused by something creating back pressure that's not letting bowl contents reach the tank. Blocked tank vent was my first thought, but you seem to have eliminated that...unless you replaced the vent thru-hull without cleaning it out, 'cuz that's one of the two most common blockage locations. The other end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank is the other one.

If no one has flushed something they shouldn't have--wet wipe, sanitizing wipe, wipe of ANY kind---sea water mineral buildup in the toilet discharge line is a strong possibility if the toilet uses sea water.... I've seen it reduce a 1.5" hose to less than 1/2".

[QUOTE="] I can’t snake tank vent because of two 90 degree glassed in elbows going to tank. [/QUOTE]

With two 90s in your vent line, it's a wonder any air can pass through it! Once we solve your immediate problem, we need to figure out how to fix that! Don't tell me it can't be fixed...it can!

Btw...what's the make/model of the new toilet?

-Peggie

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Peggy
Good to hear from you. Of course I have your book and you have helped me in the past v
I know the vent is an issue. That’s something for another day and time. This head has been rebuilt with new toilet and hoses with the exception of the deck fitting hose to the Y valve for macerator.

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Oh yeah....the syphon break is squeaking with each pump.
Thanks for all the help

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That means liquid is being PUSHED through it. The squealing indicates back pressure. If there's a y-valve in that line, is the vented loop installed before it or after it?

--Peggie

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Peggy
There is a Y valve after it. To direct flow to tank or overboard.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The blockage could very well be in that y-valve. The best y-valves have a "barrel" inside that rotates to direct the flow out one side or the other. There are some that only have a little "gate" that swings to block one side or the other. In either type, the handle may not be moving the barrel or gate far enough, or something even as small as a grape seed may not let it move enough to open whichever side you want to use...or someone may have flushed something that's blocked the outbound opening. It's definitely worth opening it up to see what if anything is going on in it.

--Peggie

Halb

Apr 1, 2020
Peggy
Ok. I will check it out. It worked fine when I rebuilt the hoses etc... but who knows

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Btw...Unless your toilet is above the waterline, there should also be a vented loop in the toilet intake...see Figure 1 on page 3 in the owners manual for the correct location (which is NOT in the line between the thru-hull and the pump!) Jabsco 29090 Twist 'n' Lock Manual Toilet owners manual Note that it needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT MAX HEEL, not just when the boat's at rest...which, on most sailboats, puts it 2-3' above the bowl.

--Peggie

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Mine was gurgling recently while on a cruise and we suspected the holding tank was full. Pumped out the next day and all was well again.