Gulfport FL Bridge Clearance

Apr 1, 2021
Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 St Petersburg
Hi everyone. We are planning to go into Gulfport, FL on a Lucia 40 catamaran, with a mast height just shy of 64 feet. The Pinellas Bayway Structure C bridge to the south of Gulfport at the north end of the Pass-a-Grille pass is listed with vertical clearance of 65 ft. However, I have been through the area on a powerboat and the channel fenders and graduated height indicators are not at the center span - they are 2 spans east - and are not at the highest point of the bridge.

Has anyone been through there lately with a mast 65 feet or over? Does anyone have any idea what the actual clearance is at the center span? Are there any obstructions in the 2 spans to the west of the marked channel that would prevent a shallow draft (under 4 ft) catamaran from passing there?

Thanks in advance!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Hi everyone. We are planning to go into Gulfport, FL on a Lucia 40 catamaran, with a mast height just shy of 64 feet. The Pinellas Bayway Structure C bridge to the south of Gulfport at the north end of the Pass-a-Grille pass is listed with vertical clearance of 65 ft. However, I have been through the area on a powerboat and the channel fenders and graduated height indicators are not at the center span - they are 2 spans east - and are not at the highest point of the bridge.

Thanks in advance!
Has anyone been through there lately with a mast 65 feet or over? I have not, but I do agree the "channel" does not travel under the highest point of the bridge. Does anyone have any idea what the actual clearance is at the center span? It is at at least a foot higher, possibly two. Are there any obstructions in the 2 spans to the west of the marked channel that would prevent a shallow draft (under 4 ft) catamaran from passing there? I have never tried 2 spans west of the fender boards, but there is PLENTY of water in the first span west of the fenders. When working charters, I have run a Morgan OI 51 (5.2' draft, 62' air draft) under that span multiple times for a particular picture opportunity looking west under the bridge that would be blocked by the fender boards. Note however, there are often small fishing boats anchored in that span, or tied up to the fender boards. Not a factor in a boat with 13' of beam, but on a big cat, keep an eye out.

Also sent you a PM.