Great weekend of sailing! How was yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Shreeves

This weekend was spent up at the lake with 7 of my friends from college. We had a blast! 8 people and a golden retriever out on the boat all day saturday and sunday. We were out sailing on saturday by 11:30 and sailed for a couple hours in 10 knot winds without a cloud in the sky. Then we pulled into the leeward side of an island where we unloaded 4 coolers and the dog and spent a few hours enjoying the sun. We anchored the boat and tied a stern line to the shore, unfortunately I had to swim out with the anchor and then drop it but at least the anchor held. We did alright considering I was the most experienced one there and it was my first time anchoring. I find that I don't really do to much when I am on my boat, especially with that many people. Everyone had a chance to control the tiller and one couple would be in charge of manning the jib sheets. All I had to do was tell them which way to go and whether to let out or pull in the sails. Although when the navigation got tricky (such as docking and anchoring) that's when I took the tiller. We all camped out saturday night and I put the boat back on the trailer and slept on it there. One thing I think may need to be in order are some cup holders. Everything was great, 3 people were introduced to camping four of them were introduced to sailing. How was everyone else's weekend? You guys couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend!!!

J

Joe

Put-in-Bay

Sounds like a blast. My wife and I took a trip to Put-in-Bay (near Cedar Point) in Lake Erie once in a 25' trailerable sailboat with eight people on board. That was crowded! I remember spending most of the time hanging onto the fore stay and jib while we motored forever. Now that place was one of the wildest parties I've seen on water. We took our daysailor Buccaneer out Monday on Kent Lake, beautiful light breezes made 94 degrees seem like a perfect day. You had to reach though, it just got too hot slowly running with the wind. We're saving our pennies to buy a Mac 26X, the story about Put-in-Bay was and continues to be our inspiration to buy the biggest trailerable sailboat we can find. A Mac wouldn't have taken 3 or 4 hours motoring with a 5 hp pushing the hull at max either. Have Fun.

P

Paul M

Isn't it great

hows the lake, I spent 15 years on that lake and islands out of tafton. unfortinatly I was in a pontoon boat, lost a lot of anchors there too. I,m now on the bay with my 26x, wish I had It there, except for sundays, thats when the islands and coves came into play. p.s. how did the boat sail or motor with 8 people and 4 coolers, and where were your friends sitting, 4 up and 4 inside? Paul M.

Status
Not open for further replies.