Great Lakes to Gulf of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Hoyt

In April of 1999 I had my Catalina 27 shipped from Jacksonville, Florida to Cleveland, Ohio. I then sailed Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, Lake Michigan & Green Bay, ending in Chicago in October of 1999. Mid October I departed Chicago and headed for the Gulf of Mexico via the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Kentucky Lake, Tenessee River, Tombigbee Canal, Black Warrior River, Alabama River, Mobile River to the Gulf of Mixico. From Mobile I sailed East in the Intercoastal Waterway to Apalachacola, Florida. Thence to Clearwater down the West coast to Key West. Cross to Cuba and back for New Years. Up the East coast to Miami and points north to Jacksonville.

M

Mike Gallagher

David please tell me more!

David I would love to hear more about your trip especially trip from Chicago to the gulf. We live in Milwaukee and are planning a trip for late summer on our 27 with the eventual goal of ending up in the keys. I would really like to talk to you more about this. Any info you can give me would be hugely appreciated. Thanks your fellow sailor, Mike

M

Mike Gallagher

forgot email

forgot to give you my email it's jbuffett50@hotmail.com

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Clearance on your trip

So what was the clearance as you made this trip. I often wondered how high a mast one could take via the route you mentioned. Or if you dropped your mast, when you were able to raise it?

G

GERRY FRIG

Like to know more about trip

I have a Passage 42 and am planning to go to Mexico's Yucatan area in 2001. I have considered the trip through the Great Lakes (starting near Toledo, OH), through Chicago, via either the Mississippi or Ten-Tom to the Gulf. I am now thinking about shipping to Ft Lauderdale then sailing in the Florida to Cancun race. I am interested in your knowledge of both alternatives. Who was your shipping company and your experience with them and what do you think of the sailing (Motoring) alternatives? email: ge_frig@tir.com

E

Eric on S/V Troon

Mast height......

Everyone must drop to get through Chicago (24ft fixed bridges) and in the canal down to Joliet. After that, it depends on mast height. I know of a boat with mast 42 ft above the water made it from Peoria, Ill. to the Gulf. And a 48 ft above the water made it from St. Louis to the Gulf. The bridges on the Mississippi River should be at least 50 ft, but some are real close or even 49 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.