Grampian 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Stuteville

I am considering buying a Grampian 23. I already have a 24-foot Columbia Contender. What impresses me about the 23 is its interior space. Is there anyone familiar enough with these two models? They seem like comparable boats in some respects in terms of their size and age. The Grampian is in what I would consider good to excellent shape. My Contender was a work in progress when I obtained it, and I have restored it from fair to good condition. What concerns me about the Grampian is whether the keel bolts are a weak point...is the fiberglass susceptible to blistering...is the rudder sturdy...is the mast normally a fixed mount? what size of outboard would power the Grampian best... Thanks

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Excellent boat - loads of space.

You should have a look at the Grampian web site and do some research on the G-23 there. I have a G-26 and absolutely love her. Fast (class champion 3 years straight, & overall fleet champion one year(over 100 other boats). Now the G-23 won't go as fast as the G-26, but they were made the same - way overbuilt. I have never seen any Grampians with keel bolt problems (my '73 bolts look as though they were just put in). Never had any blisters in the hull, yes - the rudder is very sturdy, and the mast is cabin mount with uppers and front & rear lower shrouds, forestay & backstay. Take a close look at the chainplate fastening points below deck, and verify that the main bulkhead that has the chainplates is ok. The uppers and rear lowers should be fibreglass tabbed to the hull, and usually are just fine. Many G-23 owners use a 9.9 hp outboard.

P

Peter

G23

Hi. I own a Grampian G23 and love it. Never had any problem with the keel bolts or blistering at all (fresh water sailing). These boats are "over built" for sure. Just make sure that you check for any water damage that may have happened that would effect the cabin top and decks. If the chain plates,deck fittings and mast step bolts etc. were sealed well then you should be ok. Survey, survey, survey....it's worth it. I motor the boat with a 5 horse/ 4 stroke Honda. I have a 7 horse/ 2 stroke also as a back-up. the 5 horse maybe under powered but I haven't sailed in any rough waters yet; so I would recomend something larger than the 5. I have had my G23 up to 7 knots....seems fast enough for me and for what the boat is (floating camper). Love the amount of room inside for the size of the craft. I would like a little more cockpit room but I guess that that is the compromise. Fair winds.........Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.