got my Defender order today :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
And I just order it yesterday at 11:00 am and it had to shipped ground due to some of the items. Thanks for that Defender!

Now to the reason for my post. The big upgrade item for this year was the anchor. I felt the 25 lb Delta was under sized for cruising and the ocassional raft up with friends. So after doing some research I decided on the Manson Supreme. I also decided that the 35 lb one sounded like the right size based on the various sizing charts I reviewed.

So here are my questions/concerns:

1. Did I go too big? Sitting here in my living room it looks enormous.

2. Will it fit on the anchor role? Has any one put one on a C310?

Thanks,

Jesse

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
Do you have a windlass? I recently went to a 22lb anchor from a 14 and more chain and nearly couldnt get the thing back up! Granted a lot of it was in the chain but my point is you'll probably figure it out when you have to fetch the thing.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have a windless but it doesn't have a chain gypse. We typically anchor with me at the wheel and my wife at the bow. I think we will have to change that. Or upgrade the windless with a gypse.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Ohh, and I did add some chain too. We had 18' of chain and 200' of 1/2 inch 3 strand. I ordered a new rode that is 30' of chain spliced to 200' of 1/2 inch 3 strand. It is already set up to use with a chain gypse for when we do that up grade.

I am keeping the old rode (it is in OK shape) for a second anchor. I plan to pickup a Danforth at a local marine salvage. I would put it in the holder in the anchor locker.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
And I just order it yesterday at 11:00 am and it had to shipped ground due to some of the items. Thanks for that Defender!

Now to the reason for my post. The big upgrade item for this year was the anchor. I felt the 25 lb Delta was under sized for cruising and the ocassional raft up with friends. So after doing some research I decided on the Manson Supreme. I also decided that the 35 lb one sounded like the right size based on the various sizing charts I reviewed.

So here are my questions/concerns:

1. Did I go too big? Sitting here in my living room it looks enormous.

2. Will it fit on the anchor role? Has any one put one on a C310?

Thanks,

Jesse
I had a 25 on mine and the 35 should fit just fine. You can never go too big with anchors...:D

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks Maine. I had an old cruiser tell me that you know when you are a cruiser when other sailors comment about your anchor being too big.

Missed you in Boston this year, I was hoping to see you so I could buy you a couple of beers for all the help. Let me know the next time you are in the area.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
anchor fit

I have the competitor's 33# anchor and it fits fine - you should be OK.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Manson Supreme 25#

It fits just fine, but I did have to put the bail in a vice to squeeze it a little so the anchor would fit under it. I hooked my chain into the slot, but am wondering about that. Need a little time anchoring to figure out the best way for me.

Your wife ain't gonna like lifting that big anchor up, but I have my wife to where she can drive the boat pretty good while we do anchor ops. :D

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
We have a windless but it doesn't have a chain gypse. We typically anchor with me at the wheel and my wife at the bow. I think we will have to change that. Or upgrade the windless with a gypse.

We also anchor with my wife at the bow......... however, when we leave, I'm at the bow and she's at the wheel. Only becomes a problem when we anchor over 25 - 30 ft. and I'm pulling 65 lbs. of chain and anchor.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I was thinking about changing up our anchoring routine anyways. Last year was our 5th year sailing together and our 1st on our C310. By the end of the year she was getting more confident at the helm. I think me at the bow would be better anyways.

Thanks guys

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking about changing up our anchoring routine anyways. Last year was our 5th year sailing together and our 1st on our C310. By the end of the year she was getting more confident at the helm. I think me at the bow would be better anyways.

Thanks guys

I try to get her at the helm as much as possible. Never know when I might be hurt and she has to take control, like last season when I ended up with 5 stitches in my shin when I slipped getting into the dinghy on shore. :redface:

We use a system of hand signals for forward, reverse, neutral and point in the direction of the anchor. Never have to speak, because its too difficult to hear and made a promise to myself to never yell or get angry.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I try to get her at the helm as much as possible. Never know when I might be hurt and she has to take control, like last season when I ended up with 5 stitches in my shin when I slipped getting into the dinghy on shore. :redface:

We use a system of hand signals for forward, reverse, neutral and point in the direction of the anchor. Never have to speak, because its too difficult to hear and made a promise to myself to never yell or get angry.
We use the same system when retrieving the anchor. Works very well, no yelling, and the wife does great at the helm.

Jan 23, 2012
catalina 310 Lake Macquarie
Time running out...

We too use the hand signal method (forward, reverse, left, right, neutral) and no yelling. She's very intolerant of yelling!

A couple of mentions of future upgrade to a chain gypsy for the windlass, take note that time is running out. Maxwell in NZ have stopped making the 500 series (1000 is now the smallest which won't easily fit the space on the 310) so if you want one you need to take advantage of the existing stock (several US suppliers have them thankfully as none are left in Australia or NZ).

We currently have a 16kg CQR (approx 35 lb) with 20m of 8mm chain and 50m rope. Its a bugger to haul up, looking forward to fitting the new winch with chain gypsy even though it will mean reducing chain size from 8mm to 6mm.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had contacted Maxwell a few years ago about converting my Maxwell 500 to chain gypsy. At that time, they had one kit left. Since then, another forum member has confirmed that the conversion kit is no longer available. Looks like those of us with chain rode will be looking for a different windlass, hopefully something that will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.