Got a great grill?

T-Schwan

SBO Staff
May 15, 2017
Tell us about your favorite grills and grilling methods for boats. Favorite grilling tips or recipes, please share, pictures are always welcome.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Just returned from our boat today, had a nice grilling planned as well. Only to find our Magma Party Size Kettle had other ideas. Lit up easy as usual, but the radiant plate and burner have rusted beyond all hope . Did give me a nice flame on one side though.
This was our third Magma Grill in 24 years, I don’t have any complaints with any of them. Gives even cooking and heating.
My guess would be I’ll go with another one later this week. The parts alone are probably half as much or more, as a new one. And a lot less work on me.
I would be interested in others opinions and recommendations on their grills, as I am open to all suggestions right now. And in the market for one.
I can’t imagine our boat without a grill
Great timing on your post, by the way.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I also had a Magma grill that died an early death. I'm also interested in what others use.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We had more or less the same experience with out Magma Kettle. I replaced most of the internal components but I have to admit it was over maybe 20 years - some of them twice.
But OP was asking about use of the grill. So here goes:
A lot of the time we would go with simpler grilling recipes. Maybe some marinated chicken breasts. Or sometimes we would pre-marinate pork tenderloin to grill on the low and slow regimen. Maybe a steak now and then but grilling was a little unpredictable for an expensive cut of meat. We did no smoking or exotics. Mostly at anchor we just wanted something easy having reached a level of relaxation that didn't include stress about meals.
We did do pre-made stews, soups and have pre-made deli salads. Spam burgers were a regular. We always figured that if we drifted off to sea the SPAM would sustain us until rescue. Also hamburgers, hot dogs and other sausage. Not so much in the vegetable world.
In truth, after cocktails and snacks with friends in the cockpit our appetite waned and we didn't need that much for dinner.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have a magma charcoal kettle. A little bit of charcoal, light it off, and ten minutes later you are cooking. No gas (and storage) and associated “stuff”..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an ancient Force 10 propane grill on a rail mount on Tally Ho. I remove it unless I am going to grill (cover vibrates and makes a lot of noise).

But I enjoy throwing a steak or a burger on the grill when out at anchor overnight.

IMG_3188.jpeg IMG_3189.jpeg IMG_3190.jpeg IMG_3191.jpeg

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
PNW guys aren't doing Salmon steaks? Crabs? We already know about Corned Beef.
And you low country guys must have some shrimp ideas!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. PNW guys aren't doing Salmon steaks?
  2. Crabs?
  3. We already know about Corned Beef.
Yes we use our grills in the PacificNW.

1. YES. FRESH SALMON.. Pico de Gallo & SALSA. LEMONS. cooked on low setting. Grilled Asparagus. And a bottle of my favorite Elton Pinot Noir, a Cabernet Franc or a Walla Walla AVA Syrah from the Rock District.
IMG_1891.jpeg
2. Crabs are boiled in big pot of fresh sea water. Cracked fresh. On a salad. Or with fresh chunks of artisan sourdough bread dunked in spicy CRAB artichoke dip and a bottle of wine. A chilled bottle of Viognier.
IMG_2903.jpeg 1717477861611.jpeg

3 Corned Beef is smoked. A nice piece quick seared on the grill. Plated with a dab of sauerkraut. Fresh potato salad. Stone ground mustard. And my favorite ice chilled “Irish Death”
IMG_1890.jpeg 1717477963190.png

:biggrin:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I gave up trying to keep my Magma gas grill working and now just use it as a charcoal grill - much simpler. The remaining parts are in excellent shape.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I gave up trying to keep my Magma gas grill working and now just use it as a charcoal grill - much simpler. The remaining parts are in excellent shape.
How do you keep your charcoal dry?

dj

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Not a problem in New England, it sits in its original paper bag in the lazarette.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have the same ancient Force 10 as @Tally Ho it makes great grilled chicken. I brought this grill with me from my last boat, I couldn't give it up. Maybe it is the surroundings that adds to the flavour, but the best grilled chicken is on the boat. I marinate the chicken in 3 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinaigrette and a generous shake of Club House Garlic Plus seasoning. Steak and burgers are the other favourites.