gooseneck tack hook

Jul 10, 2021
ODay 240 Owasco Lake
My Oday 240 does not have somewhere on the gooseneck to secure the tack,what am i missing?Should there be a bracket with a hook ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Welcome to SBO.

The hooks on a gooseneck are usually for a reef point. Can you post a photo of the goose neck you have? It would be helpful.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Usually there are holes on a flange at the topside of the gooseneck. Usually a shackle secures the tack ring and the shackle pin is inserted through the holes (or hole if the is just one flange) on the gooseneck to secure the tack assembly to the gooseneck. The short answer is that normally a shackle is used to secure the tack ring on the sail to the gooseneck fitting. There has to be something on the gooseneck to secure a shackle. A hook is never used for this purpose. Hooks, or ram's horns are only used for reefing.

• Helpful
Jul 10, 2021
ODay 240 Owasco Lake
Welcome to SBO.

The hooks on a gooseneck are usually for a reef point. Can you post a photo of the goose neck you have? It would be helpful.
Picture won't be available till the weather breaks as I'm in upstate NY

Jul 10, 2021
ODay 240 Owasco Lake
Usually there are holes on a flange at the topside of the gooseneck. Usually a shackle secures the tack ring and the shackle pin is inserted through the holes (or hole if the is just one flange) on the gooseneck to secure the tack assembly to the gooseneck. The short answer is that normally a shackle is used to secure the tack ring on the sail to the gooseneck fitting. There has to be something on the gooseneck to secure a shackle. A hook is never used for this purpose. Hooks, or ram's horns are only used for reefing.
Yes I understand the hook would be for reefing,but all the other O'Day models use a bracket that also has the hook except the 240,but I still can't find what the 240 uses.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, there are a few holes in the gooseneck that I can use for my tack shackle, and I can also put reefing hooks on the pin if I want to…

In this photo, the reefing hook has been removed (and no nut on the bolt)…but you can get the idea. A shackle is through the tack ring on the sail, and secured to the gooseneck.

879D1C35-FB61-494B-9732-315319AFB51F.jpeg

Greg

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Picture won't be available till the weather breaks as I'm in upstate NY
I'm well aware of the weather as I'm only 30 miles NE of Owasco Lake. It has hardly been winter here. Your boat misses you, go see it and regale it will tales of this season's adventures and snap a few photos. Your boat will appreciate it. ;) :beer::beer::beer:

Jul 10, 2021
ODay 240 Owasco Lake
On my O’Day 322, there are a few holes in the gooseneck that I can use for my tack shackle, and I can also put reefing hooks on the pin if I want to…

In this photo, the reefing hook has been removed (and no nut on the bolt)…but you can get the idea. A shackle is through the tack ring on the sail, and secured to the gooseneck.

View attachment 213576

Greg
I'm well aware of the weather as I'm only 30 miles NE of Owasco Lake. It has hardly been winter here. Your boat misses you, go see it and regale it will tales of this season's adventures and snap a few photos. Your boat will appreciate it. ;) :beer::beer::beer:
Just had a chat with her this morning while I was checking her winter coat