Good place to mount EPIRB H38

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I'm looking for a good place to mount my EPIRB.

Ideally I want it reachable from the cockpit as well as an easy to grab location while exiting up the companionway steps.

What I don't want is a location where I'm constantly bumping it or getting hung up on it, or my groceries etc hung up on it, when moving in and out of the cabin.

I'd also prefer not to have to disassemble the boat to mount it properly and securely (imho velcro mounting is not appropriate for serious safety gear).

Where have folks mounted their EPIRB? Recommendations for or against any locations?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Companionway would be my preference as long as you can avoid bumping into it OR on your the cockpit bulkhead just below the cabin winches.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Companionway would be my preference as long as you can avoid bumping into it OR on your the cockpit bulkhead just below the cabin winches.
Me too. But that may be a location that gets constantly bumped. Over the nav station or "around the corner" toward the galley would be other options less likely to get bumped but harder to grab.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I have mine mounted on the starboard bulkhead as high as possible just inside my companionway. Never bumped it. :beer:

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Why not try mounting it on something non-destructive like velcro temporarily and try a few places to see where it doesn't get "bumped"? Pick a few candidate places - even ideal ones you think might not work, like the companionway - and see whether your theory holds out? Once you find the right place that's quick to get to, but doesn't get bumped a lot, then drill the holes and mount it.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Industrial strength velcro can make a very effective bond once you determine where. So can 3M High Bond tape (double sided).
I like using the stickies that come with 3M hangers for temporary mountings, they remove cleanly.