Good mechanic in the Long Beach, CA area?

Dec 29, 2019
Catalina 30 Wilmington
Hello Everyone,
Hope you are all staying safe with your families.
I haven't been on here for a bit because I've been sailing around and taking trips to Catalina. All was good until my last outing when I tried to restart engine to head back to my slip. Engine would not start. I had quite a bit of effort to get it started when I first wanted to head out. I had a mechanic come look and first thing he said was change fuel filters which he did. Then he tried to bleed fuel lines. No success in getting engine started. Next, I bought 2 new batteries as the old ones were really gone. I am located in Wilmington, CA. Can anyone in the So-Cal area recommend a decent mechanic who could work on my boat?
Thank you,
Kelly.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hello Everyone,
Hope you are all staying safe with your families.
I haven't been on here for a bit because I've been sailing around and taking trips to Catalina. All was good until my last outing when I tried to restart engine to head back to my slip. Engine would not start. I had quite a bit of effort to get it started when I first wanted to head out. I had a mechanic come look and first thing he said was change fuel filters which he did. Then he tried to bleed fuel lines. No success in getting engine started. Next, I bought 2 new batteries as the old ones were really gone. I am located in Wilmington, CA. Can anyone in the So-Cal area recommend a decent mechanic who could work on my boat?
Thank you,
Kelly.
Good Morning. Sorry to hear of your difficulties. What do you mean "... he tried the bleed the fuel lines?" Did he, or did he not, bleed them, or can you not tell? What kind of an engine is it? Universal? If the fuel line did not get fully bled it probably won't start. I could give you a name, but you're possibly talking two-way travel time from Santa Ana at over $100/hr. That's before the guy does any work on the engine.:confused: That would be a lot to bleed a fuel line.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019
Catalina 30 Wilmington
Hello Kings Gambit,
My engine is a universal 5411. He did not successfully bleed the lines. In reading the manual, my buddies and I read the correct procedure to bleed the lines at the little valve at the fuel injector pump. We also bled the lines by loosening the injectors and starting engine. Still nothing. Soooo... It's agreed top hire a decent mechanic to come in and check compression. check injectors. I need to take them off and have them tested. If bad, I will buy new injectors to have installed. Another thing is there is waaay tooo much oil. It's beyond dirty and overfilled so an oil change is a priority as well. I've decided to bite the bullet and hire a good reputable mechanic but need one closer to me.

Oct 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Holiday Harbor, San Pedro, CA
Im flying into LA tomorrow to hang out on my Catalina 30 in San Pedro. I might be able to point you in the right direction. Plus I dont charge Catalina owners.

Ed
480-200-5778