Good Day, Mates

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Pretty soon everyone will have their boat in the water and be off sailing. When Phil & Bly (the owners of sailboatowners.com) approached me about continuing the sail trim forum, I was thinking about how I would open it up. About 12 years ago, when I decided to get back into sailing, the first thing that happened to me was I realized most of my sailing knowledge was not coming back to me so I first wasted a ton of dough on a sailing school. I was real good at flaking the main and backing the boat but I had no idea what the wind was doing to the sails. The sail trim controls for the main and jib confused me. I had no idea what adjustment to make to the main and jib for any wind condition and point of sail. Does this sound familiar to any of you and is that where your at? In the beginning, I thought I was the only sailor who did not get it. Later, I found out I was not alone. To try to fill my lack of sail trim knowledge, I would talk to sailing friends and they just proceeded to confuse me even more. I had no idea what they were talking about. They jumbled up definitions and confused terms. I walked away shaking my head because I could not put anything they gave me into practice on the water. That brings me to the point of this forum. Instead of me wondering around talking to dock neighbors, what if I could have walked into a room and talked to a group of sailing experts? Think how great that would be. Suppose that group of expersts consisted of sailors like Alan (LI), Rich H (MD), Malcolm Young (Lake Huron), John Nantz (Paulsbro), Bill O’Donovan, Trevor (Seattle), Stu Jackson, Spinnaker Joe (San Diego), Rick Dinon (Marina Del Ray), Cliff (Lake Erie) and Arlyn Stewart (Texas). That is just to mention a few. These guys ARE in the room by way of this forum and they are a wealth of sail trim knowledge and more than willing to share their sail trim experience with you. So, if you are a beginner to high intermediate and have any sail trim questions, you should take advantage of this forum and fire off your questions. These guys will not steer you wrong. Remember there are no dumb questions. Every question you think of has been thought of by someone else at some point in their sailing experience. Now for a commercial: Phil & Bly provide this forum FREE but as you all know it cost money to provide this service. Ask yourself, what has West Marine given you lately except high prices!! So, the next time you need some sailing stuff visit the sailboatowners.com ships store and purchase it from them. Karisa and Sara are sailors themselves and can guide you to the correct product. They won't sell you anything you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.