Good Boat? 1995 HUNTER 29.5???

Jun 30, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Coeur d' Alene Lake
I am considering to buy a shoal keel (4') 1995 Hunter 29.5. The boat is in exceptional condition. I have owned J24 and Catalina 34'. This Hunter has the Main Sheet attached to the top of where the wheel is. I understand this when attached to the arch but just above the wheel, does this work ok??? And no back stay, this strikes odd also but what do I know, that is why I am asking. Any issues with this model? It only ran a few years, was it not a good seller??? How would you compare it to a Catalina 30?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We lost the rig in Ian and now use it as a trawler. We love the comfort for two people. We can go as long as 10 days on the 40gal watertank. Ours has A/c at the dock and we use a window unit and a Honda 2200 fo A/c at anchor. It has a very deep frig/freezer. We had a traveler on the cabin roof, forwatd of the companion way. We had an inmast furler which made reefing easy. The walk out transome made getting in and out of the dink very easy. I felt like the boat was too small for davits so we just towed the dink. Ours backed up like a dream. Just give a short burst of power and coast. I don't know why there was such a limited run of 29.5's
AEEA3F4C-2106-444E-83A5-66561B2A1DDE.jpeg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The Catalina 30 is a significantly bigger boat, 7.500 lbs vs 10,500 lbs. Much bigger interior too.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a 1998 Hunter 280, which sounds like a similar boat….B&R rig (no back stay), but my mainsheet was mounted on a traveller.

There is no traveller in a set up like that, so all you have as a control is the mainsheet and the vang. My boat also had a rod kicker to hold up the boom.

I liked the boat…owned it for 5 years before finding Tally Ho…

I love this shot… racing a guy back to the marina, way over-canvassed for the wind…but I was having fun.

IMG_0208_Original.jpeg

Cheers,

Greg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Both the Hunters and the Catalinas are great boats. Depends on the year which is fancied up interior.
Both are decent cruising boats.

Look at boats based on how you want to enjoy them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jssailem is correct and ditto on that as a former dealer for both but there is a difference in the rig. The hunter has no backstay which offers more cockpit space and a larger mainsail for power which has proven itself over the years. As for a traveler, suggest you look at owner modifications under hunter resources for the 29.5

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
Excellent quality vessel. Ours had traveler atop the cabin. Although not very long, the traveler was appropriate for the sail plan. Powered by a Yanmar diesel. Hunter's B & R rig (no backstay and a fuller roach) has stood the test of time. It was great for four of us when the kids were small. Moved up to a Hunter 380 when we had two teens and a golden retriever. Also a fine vessels and holding up well after 20+ years in Long Island Sound.