Gonna pull the boat...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So Idalia is supposed to pass right over Charleston during a high tide.... They are predicting a tropical storm by the time it gets here. Not going to take any chances. Later today, I'm putting the boat on the trailer. If you are in the path of Idalia, what are your plans?

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Better safe than sorry. What Marina are you in? I'm not terribly worried about the wind, but if the dock floats off the pilings it's all over. I'm in Cooper River Marina, and was going to go pull canvas and double up the lines today. This rain is pretty demoralizing tho.
-Z

Jan 19, 2010
Better safe than sorry. What Marina are you in? I'm not terribly worried about the wind, but if the dock floats off the pilings it's all over. I'm in Cooper River Marina, and was going to go pull canvas and double up the lines today. This rain is pretty demoralizing tho.
-Z
My Condo has its own marina on the Ashley. If you have ever passed under the train tressel, it is the marina right before the train bridge.

Good luck. I don't think the wind is going to be our problem as much as the king tide+surge+30" of rain.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the NE some marinas had and marketed having "Hurricane pilings" which were up to 12 feet above some tide marker. They also extended deeper into the mud than the regular pilings. Mostly they worked. Sandy was the exception. A few floating docks drifted off the pilings but the late season storm didn't find that many boats in the water so there wasn't boat carnage. They weren't just good for hurricanes but also for Nor'Easters which would pile water into the estuary sometimes as bad as tropical storms. Sandy was more a Nor'Easter than a hurricane anyway.
There have been tides for which boats on the hard at the marina were at risk of floating off their stands. A big tide surge is a problem there isn't really a good answer to for keel boats. Maybe removing the boat from the risk area. But that can be nearly impossible.

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe removing the boat from the risk area. But that can be nearly impossible.
:plus: For the first part. If you had a crystal ball and could see that your safeguards weren't going to be good enough and you knew your $100,000+ mistress was going to be destroyed, how impossible would it be to take her somewhere safe? Hurricanes are as serious as the sea gets.

-Will

Jan 19, 2010
Here is a pic of the train trussell on the Ashley River next to my condo during Idalia + King Tide
Idalia+Trussel.jpg

... and here are two pics the same track during a normal king tide...

1693573349881.png

1693572894825.png

... and here is a totally unrelated random pic of the same train trussell that I'm only including because I think it is cool.

1693573161844.png

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So how did the boats at the marina make out?
I don't think I was ever sorry about moving my boat to a safer location or pulling it for a storm. To not pucker was worth the effort.
And the pic is cool!