Going ashore

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
What is your strategy for going ashore with the wing keel? My old boat was beachable.

Do you get as close as the keel let’s you and wade ashore? pack an inflatable Kayak? The wading ashore option seems more pleasant in July than October.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Dink. That can take in a lot of options. Wading from just deep enough could work in a lake with small tides but isn't really viable.

Feb 19, 2008
No tides in the Great Lakes, but northern Lake Michigan can get cold in October.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
All right I'm not a lake sailor. But there were certainly tides on Lake Erie when I used to sail there. The tides were different than Sun/Moon tides of the ocean areas but they existed with regard to wind patterns. So a strong NW wind on Lake Erie associated with a cold front could blow a lot of water out of the West end of the lake. When the wind quit the water would flow back West with some force. So tide may not be the right term but water in lakes does move around.
Still, anchoring your boat in just enough water seems like a bad idea.

Feb 19, 2008
Tides are all about gravity. The reason we always see the same surface of the moon is because of the tidal force the earth exerts on the moon. The reason oceans rise and fall in a predictable rhythm is because of the tidal force of the moon on the earth. The reason the high tide is higher on a new moon is because the moon and the sun are in alignment, so you have tidal force of the sun and the tidal force of the moon pulling in the same direction.

BUT, I take your point. The wind could shift while I’m ashore, my wing keel could dig into some nice muck.
At 1500 lbs (the boat, not me) I’d bet I could push it out . . . But I haven’t tested that theory yet.

Im curious as to what other Capri 18 owners strategies are regarding going ashore. With such a small boat, towing a dinghy is problematic, as is storing an inflatable, but with that wing keel, you can’t exactly pull it up onto a beach either.