Goin Cruising!

• Thread starter Chris McLoughlin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris McLoughlin

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise in our sailboat this 7/1/01 We bought the boat (a Hunter 375 ) in Aug of 2000. We have plenty of daysailing exp. but have never owned a sailboat till now. For the last 20 odd years we have been power boat owners. The first leg will be from Mystic Ct. to Essex Ct. (we made that run last july in our power boat, a 34 ft flybride sedan in 1 hr and 15 min. I am planning on six hours this year, so it will probably take 8 hrs. spend a few days in Essex, then on to Greenport NY for a couple of days by now into the middle of next week and on to Block Isd RI for a few more days. Then if time permit spend a day/night on the hook at Napatree bofore returning to Mystic. I can't wait! Chris s/v Tidesong

P

Pete

Hope the winds and tides are with you

With the prevailing SW winds around here you may be motoring much of the way on your first leg. Because of various family schedules, we had to bring our C320 back to Pilot's Point from New London last Monday. Of course, the current was against us for most of the way and the 18 knot W wind was right on our nose. On top of that we had to keep our RPMs low and changing on a new motor. Four hours from the mouth of the Thames to the Connecticut River! Ugh! I'm looking forward to actually "sailing." Pete s/v Sea Chalet

R

Russell Egge

Great Trip

Did sort of the reverse last year. Block-Greenport-Mystic (planned to go to Essex, but gave up due to constant rain) Enjoy, great trip. Check your tides, can't overpower them like in a power boat. RREgge S/V Allie Kat Where do you keep your boat in Mystic?

C

Chris McLoughlin

Thanks Pete. . .

And good luck with the new boat. Any chance you were coming from Hellier's?

C

Chris McLoughlin

Russell. . .

If I had my way I would leave with the start of the flood. . . 2:06 am at New london. When I suggested this to my wife, she ... , well never mind we won't go into that right now. I hope to be leaving about 5 am and get some flood current. An old power boater trick, leave very early and a better chance for flat=fast water. WE keep the boat at Brewer's in Mystic. we will be staying at the Brewer's yard in Essex, then on to the Brewers yard in Greenport When you keep your boat at a brewers yard you get 6 free nights at the other Brewer yards. PS Brewers isn't going to pay me for that plug. Chris s/v Tidesong

R

Russell Egge

We are at Brewers in Wickford

Brewers in Mystic is a nice marina, spent a few days there last year. If you have never been to Brewers Greenport, without a dingy (with an outboard) it is a very long walk to town (a few miles). With a dingy its only a few minutes. There is a dingy dock at Prestons Marine Supply (great store) The is also a nice nautical museum in town, and a movie theater and merry-go-round for the kids if it rains. Not much else though, unless you want to rent a car. Enjoy the trip by Gardiners Island. We took the southern route between Gardiners and Long Island, nice tripbut you need to stay in a tight channel, even though there is lots of water on either side, it gets shallow quickly. If you get to Narraganset let us know. Russell Egge S/V Allie Kat

C

Chris McLoughlin

Wickford is . .

on our list of must see places, The final decision for this trip was between Essex/Greenport/Block or Wickford/Bristol/Newport Maybe we'll see you next year! Chris s/v Tidesong

P

Pete

Yes, Chris ..

we were coming from Helliers. By the way, if you can't get into Brewers in Greenport, there is a nice quiet marina, Piccozzi's, across the channel at Deering Harbor, on Shelter Island. They have a couple of nice restaurants there, and you can still take the ferry over to Greenport for more action. Have fun.

M

Mark Johnson

As long as you are in Greenport....

You should explore some of the beautiful harbors on Shelter Island. West Neck Harbor and Cocles Harbor. Cocles harbor is where the famous Rams Head Inn is. It's pricy, but it's good. They have some free moorings available if you decide to eat there.

W

Warren

Time!

When sailing, try not to make any firm schedules...it's not like driving/powerboating..."it's the trip, not the destination!"

Status
Not open for further replies.