Glow Plug Push Button O'day 28 1985

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Hello, I have been having an issue when starting my universal 12 10hp diesel.
Quick overview, I turn the key sometimes I hear the fuel pump come on sometimes nothing, what I mean by nothing is if I push to start nothing happens and no fuel pump sound if that is what I hear when things are good. If I tap the control box, where the key, push button, glow plug and gauges are I hear the fuel pump come on and I can start the motor (very unnerving when this happens out on the water). I began by replacing my push button starter, thought it worked but same problem, then replaced my key housing, same thing thought it worked but no. Now the only thing left is the glow plug button. I really don't think it would be the battery gauge, that is only other item the various wires are attached to (put one never can be sure). My question is unless someone has another answer, can I use something like this that I found on amazon? I don't see specific glow plug buttons. Just wanted some feedback before I bought this.
12V 50A Waterproof Switch Push Button Cars Boat Track Horn Engine Start Starter - Red Cap

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On our 85 the glow plug button was the same type as the starter button. So if you were able to source a replacement for the start button you could probably just go back to the same source for the glow plug. Having said that it doesn’t sound to me like the problem is the glow plug button. The fuel pump should run anytime the key is turned. If you’re only hearing the fuel pump some of the time and the failure to start is those same times when you don’t hear the pump I suspect the problem is somewhere in the connections to the panel itself. Universal engines often use corrosion-prone trailer plug style connectors for all of that wiring. A common problem is to have corrosion in those plugs prevent enough current from getting to the starter. In those cases the fuel pump still runs, so it’s a slightly different case from yours, but I’d check all of those connections before replacing the glow plug button.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would imagine that the glow plug button activates a solenoid, so 50 A is rather overkill.
However, if you can get things to work by tapping on them, there is a pretty good chance that there is a loose connection, not a failed part. Check every single connection on the back of your panel and don't stop if you find one. There may be several.

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Hello all thank you, the part they sell on amazon is $7 so if it works but its over kill that is fine with me. I have checked the wiring and it looks good but my next step is to undo them all and reattach with dielectric grease. I had really thought it was the key until it was not. Sometime when I push the glow plug I see the red light on the panel go off and the fuel pump stops. after I tap it a few time things come back on. I am just replacing the glow plug button just in case along with redoing the wiring. just really wanted to know if that button I was looking would be ok?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Isn’t there some issue with a Universal engine control panel and the amp meter or something, where a lot of current goes through an undersized wire, and affects the starting circuit? I don’t own a Universal, but I seem to recall something in the C30 forum or somewhere where Universal engines were widely used…. Where is Stu when we need him :)

It sounds like a loose wire or connection to me…does the alarm come on when you turn the key on (and the pump doesn’t start)? Or a corroded connection that isn’t making good contact all the time.

Greg

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Everything either works or it does not, when I tap, not hard but with some force I can hear the pump start and then it will work although after I replaced the key I noticed when I pressed the glow plug and sometimes just the start switch if I recall it would trip again and I would have to tap the console again. Your comment about the undersized wire just might be something. I will look at the wires from the amp meter as well. I wonder if it could be something with the amp meter, that is the last thing I thought it might be? I will look around the C30 forum, thanks. Any idea what I would buy if it is the amp meter, I did some quick searches nothing popped up for the O'day specifically? I have never had to buy one before

May 17, 2004
The amp meter or the connections around it are a possibility. The amp meter design is generally frowned upon more recently, with the consensus being that it’s better to replace the amp meter with a volt meter. That way the amp meter isn’t inline with the rest of the circuit causing voltage drops if there’s an iffy connection.

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Sorry, I am new to all of this, can I just bypass the meter altogether and see if that is my issue? I have a volt meter in the cabin that tells me what I need to know.
If I can, do I just disconnect it can I leave it disconnected? I never even look at it

May 17, 2004
Usually an amp meter is just a very low resistance resistor that sits inline in the circuit to measure the current. Assuming that’s the case you’d bypass it by connecting its two input wires together. But I’m not 100% sure if there’s not something else unique about how that was laid out by Universal. Paging @Stu Jackson who can probably provide some links to help.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sorry, I am new to all of this, can I just bypass the meter altogether and see if that is my issue? I have a volt meter in the cabin that tells me what I need to know.
If I can, do I just disconnect it can I leave it disconnected? I never even look at it
No, you can't, because ammeters have the current going through them in series.

Here's another version of the cockpi9t panel wiring upgrade to voltmeter, the original one before Maine Sail's version:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I found this which seems very much on point with my issue or at least a way fix things correctly.
this article addresses the panel I have as well, temp and amp only. Might be a good read for universal engine owners

If you do what it says in that article there is a 99.9% chance that your problem will be solved. Plus you will have corrected what could be some severe safety issues. But a new switch at the same time couldn't hurt.