Getting to the fuel tank on my H33.5

Jan 18, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Seattle
I've had a search around and can't seem to find an answer to my question so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out or at least point me in the right direction.

It appears that my 1992 Hunter 33.5 was built around the fuel tank! I'd like to get better access so that I can inspect it but I can't find an easy way to get to it. Looking down from the cockpit lazarette I see the battery bank. The battery bank is sitting on a wooden base. The fuel tank sits below this wooden base which appears to have been built around the tank.

The wooden battery bank base does have an inspection cut-out so that I can see the top of the tank and the fuel level gauge but that is about it.

The only logical option I can think of is that there should be access from the aft berth but it doesn't look like any of the panels come out. I can take photos next time I'm at the boat if it helps.

Are there any other 33.5 owners out there that can hopefully tell me where I'm going wrong?

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I replaced my tank in our 1993 H335 several years ago. The access in the cockpit locker is useful for loosening connections. Getting the tank out however requires cutting a hole in the aft cabin bulkhead. Carefully cut the panel so it can be reused. My opening was made just large enough to get the tank out. I covered the saw cuts with teak trim. Ezell who built tanks for Hunter still had the drawing to remake my tank. Yes I went with aluminum again. If it lasts another 20 years I’m happy. http://www.ezellindustriesinc.com/ By the way I had to also remove the aft cabin by fold door to get the tank thru the doorway. If it isn’t leaking you can install one of those access plates similar to the one above your rudder post. I did this to determine where to make my cuts in the bulkhead. Good luck.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Aft bulkhead isn't water title and I don't think it gives any structure support I just cut an access panel and stained a sheet of 1/4" finish panel to go over access with 8 screws so I can get back there easy and service or check things

Jan 18, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Seattle
Thank you Jeff and Whatfiero1, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Guess I'll get my saw ready!

calvin

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter 335 Port Orchard
Anyone have any pictures of the bulkhead cut and associated finish panel once they were done that they can share?