Getting ready for haulout

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

I'm getting ready for my first haul out since I purchased my boat about a year ago. Ostensibly I'm doing this to inspect the bottom paint. The current paint is on it's second year of service. Last year it was hauled for the survey and the surveyor determined the paint was in great shape. I have a diver that cleans the boat monthly and he tells me the bottom is in beautiful condition, however he didn't deter me from hauling it out to have an above the water look at it. My question is basically what am I looking for? This is my first "in-water" boat with bottom paint. Is there a method to inspecting the paint? Is the need for painting obvious or does it take an experienced eye to determine? I don't want to rely on the boatyard to give me an opinion since I'm sure they'd love to sell me a paint job even if I don't need one. Any guidance would be helpful.

B

Bob Knott

Bottom Paint

Make sure you have the bottom power washed while it's still wet to get off any slime on the bottom. Your next coat of bottom paint won't adhere if you don't prepare properly. I use Microm CSC Extra on my 380 and found the following advice worth it's weight in gold. I painted the hull coat blue with epoxy barrier then two black coats of CSC Micron. When I start to see blue paint, I know I've worn through the Micron and it's time for more black. I also put an extra coat on all forward facing edges on the bow, keel, and wings as they wear off first. Have fun Bob Knott

M

M. Watton

san Diego Bottoms

I too have a 376 in San Diego. A 1996. I had about 2.5 years on the bottom and it was still servicable but thin. I also have a diving service that gives a report to keep a watch. I understand that our water temp and chemistry is easier on bottom paint that some areas of the US. I went back to the yard that originally commissioned the boat. You may want to look them up...not the cheapest but do a great job. By doing the paint before it failed saved money on the prep work.

D

Dick McKee

Rich ...when u gonna haul..

I'v been through this before and also have a Hunter in San Diego at Sun Road. From personal experience if the paint is only 2 years old and the diver and survey say its ok it most likely is. Neither party have anything to gain by telling you any thing but the truth. In fact the divers job is easier with new paint, so he would have someting to gain by telling you need paint not that you dont. An easy test is to wipe your rudder from the dock with a deck brush. If the stuff come off easy and you see the color of the bottom paint clearly, your bottom paint is ok. I'll be on vacation from 9/22 thru 10/7 on our 430 and would be glad to meet you at one of the yards if you still want to haul her out. My e mail is mckee119@hotmail.com

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Once you have paid for a lift....

you might just as well have the bottom painted. If it has been 2 years and you are paying for a lift and a wash (probably all in the price) you might just as well paint it. Lets say they say the bottom is good for another 6-12 mos. and you have already paid for a lift, how much are you saving by having a second lift within the year and need paint anyway?

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
thru hulls

The bottom paint should be the SECOND thing you inspect after she gets pressure washed. The first is the thru-hulls. If they pass the mallet test, spray up into them with lithium grease (using the type that comes in a spray can) and then work the seacocks back and forth a few dozen times so that they're well lubricated. If any seacocks seem stiff, repeat the process. Then, once you're CERTAIN that none of your thru-hulls need replacing, check the bottom paint. While you're down there, look for blisters.

R

Ron

Blisters

In Galveston Bay the water is very murky and it would be hard for a diver to see blisters. We hauled last year after three years in the water, and like you, the bottom paint was perfect. We did change zincs and found a couple of blisters that we will be taking care of this winter. Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.