Getting at my stuffing box

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Foster

While getting Lady Lillie, a '77 h27, ready for the spring launch at Mentor Lagoons in Ohio, I want to replace the suffing in the box. After reviewing the archive for posts on the subject, I went boarded the boat on her cradle to do the job. All I can do over the engine (with the steps out) is loosen the nut. So I tried to remove the panel on the port quarter berth, but can't reach the last two screws in the back. Any ideas on how I can get to those screws? Or is there another way to get down to the shaft to complete the job? Also, where exactly is the stuffing? in the nut, or in the body that the nut (and lock nut) screw onto. Many thanks in advance, David Foster

M

Mark Southworth

Stuffing Box

Just did this job yesterday afternoon for the first time on my '79 h30. Stuffing is located in the hollow packing nut. Best info I obtained on this subject was from Don Casey's "This Old Boat". I accessed from removable panel in port quarterbirth. Mark S. Southworth s/v Joy

E

Ed Schenck

Here's a picture.

This is a really good link for first time "packer". The packing goes in the part labeled "Hex Spud". I used the "dripless", green stuff between two regular teflon rings. Does not trip, ever. You will need some good tools to get the old packing out. My H37C didn't even have a q-berth opening, had to cut one like the later models. So can't help with screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.