Getting a sheen using teak oil

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I begin reconditioning my interior teak using teak oil, but the results have a completely flat finish How do I get a nice satin sheen using teak oil?

Thanks

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
We have used Murphy's Oil Soap on Dreamboat's interior every spring for twelve years now and the walls look like brand new.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
That looks awesome, How do you apply your oil? My interior woodwork soaks it up like a sponge. looks good for a day or two, then starts to fade, and dull.
i just painted it on and let it dry for a full day then rubbed it with a scotch bright pad and wiped the dust and added another coat....did it six times oh and i used a wool sock to apply the teak oil

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
i just painted it on and let it dry for a full day then rubbed it with a scotch bright pad and wiped the dust and added another coat....did it six times oh and i used a wool sock to apply the teak oil
What color Scotchbright? They come in different levels of abrasiveness.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Have you tried this on bulkheads and cabinetry yet?

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
S2 8.0C (keel center board w/ MD7A diesel) long island
It has been my understanding that teak oils for exterior / weather bright work should not be applied on joinery in cabin / living spaces (because of its toxic nature). My process has been to wash the cabin space joinery (1978 S2 8.0C with all original natural oiled teak) with Murphy's Oil soap and after a day or two apply a some Johnson's bay oil (mineral oil; a non toxic substance with no chemicals or strong odor) for a natural -no gloss finish (that can be touched up with no tell-tail color difference.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
It has been my understanding that teak oils for exterior / weather bright work should not be applied on joinery in cabin / living spaces (because of its toxic nature). My process has been to wash the cabin space joinery (1978 S2 8.0C with all original natural oiled teak) with Murphy's Oil soap and after a day or two apply a some Johnson's bay oil (mineral oil; a non toxic substance with no chemicals or strong odor) for a natural -no gloss finish (that can be touched up with no tell-tail color difference.
that's all well and good ....after 72 hrs the toxic problem is gone ....i have seen people use buttermilk in finishing things ...but i would not use it ...finishing can and is a tricky business in of itself

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
A slight change of direction but have you tried going to the new Awlwood MA. Long lasting and comes in matt

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
My oil-finished teak furniture looks like Woodster's table. I used Watco Teak Oil, too. I say used because after a few years of twice-a-year application, my wood won't soak up any more teak oil. The teak oil hardens when it dries, so make sure to wipe off the excess while it is still wet. I used 0000 steel wool to apply and cotton rags to wipe and buff. My everyday kitchen table is teak and seems almost bullet-proof; does not stain, no water marks, etc.

WARNING: Do not try to put an oil finish on wood that has been previously sealed with lacquer or other sealer.