Geology in the San Juans

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We live and sail in some of the prettiest land/seascapes in the world.

Looking at the San Juan islands and landfalls, as they meet the sea, triggers questions.
  • How did this come to be?
  • What occurred to enable these rocks to endure the constant battering of the sea?
  • Why do I see rocks at the sea that appear to be the same at the heights of the Cascade range?
  • Could they be the same rock formation?
  • How could that happen?
I have found my new favorite Geology mentor. He is on YouTube, looking at Rosario Head rock formations and discussing their nature and similarities to other formations hundreds of miles inland from the sea.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Read John McFee's Annals of the Former World, for a much broader view. Vancouver Island and Puget Sound geology are touched upon.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Sailing the islands of the Caribbean has made me wish I knew much more about geology.
There are a lot of geological oddities that I'd like very much to understand. Oh well, next life I guess.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think I've posted this before but there's a book "Clean Sweet Wind" (Douglas C. Pyle - Dewey decimal 623.822 PYL) which is loosely about boatbuilding in the Caribbean. The author sails around the Carib visiting islands to study the boatbuilding and to record the lines of many native craft. A lot of it relates to the geology of the islands and how the geology affects the culture of each island and how they can be unique from each other based on the altitude of the island, the shoreline, harbors, whether there are trees or not, etc.
I'm going to re-read it this weekend. It's worth the time.