Genoa height

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
I sail a 2006 Capri 22 with a CDI Furler and a 130% Genoa. Although I don't race that much, I do enjoy sailing our boat as efficient as possible. I noticed last year that with the Genoa mounted low my visibility was very limited, which I didn't particularly liked. In addition the Genoa was always getting fouled up on the Lifeline. So, this year I decided to rise the Genoa all the way up to improve the problems stated. My question is. I am I sacrificing much performance by having the Genoa all the way up the furler?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Unless you compare a deck sweeping 135 to a furler 135, you won't see much difference. A high clew 135 (furler designed) slid up the furler extrusion won't be much less efficient than it slid down toward the bottom...

Replace the headsail with a foil, and a laminate deck sweeper and you'll gain a new respect for racing sails.

The Capri 22 likes to have just 2 headsails for racing, a blade (100% or slightly less) for heavier air, and a 155% for drifter conditions. The 135 furler is a nice cruising compromise for the boat. From experience I can say the 155 deck sweeper is a bear to see around, and tack (esp solo).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As Shnool said, the difference in performance will be slight.

The biggest thing to look at will be your sheeting angle. As you raise the clew, the default (or balanced) sheeting angle from the deck will move aft. And the range of adjustability on the sail side becomes narrower. Just make sure you are happy with how it will work out after the change.

Jun 4, 2010
Jackdall, thats a good point, I didn't consider. Incidentally, I have noticed that my Genoa Sheet Cars are almost all the way back, maybe in the 10 inches range of travel. I've only sailed once with our new Genoa, so this may change when I get more experience with the boat and the Genoa. However, I have already noticed the improved visibility and the Genoa isn't getting hung up on the lifeline either.

Jun 4, 2010
I sailed today with the Genoa has high as I could get, good visibility and no lifeline fouling, but the sheeting angle was terrible. I ran out of travel on the Genoa cars and the Foot of the sail was very loose. I need to find the sweet spot between reasonable visibility and sail trim! I am going to lower the Genoa 2 inches on the furler and also lower the lifeline near the Bow Rail. The plan is to lower the attachment point of the Lifeline at the Bow Pulpit, which should result in the Lifeline running back the nearest Stanchion, at about a 10 degree. Hopefully, the Genoa will just clear the Lifeline.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2010
Here is an up date. The total travel range of the Genoa on the furler (up/down) is around six inches. I've split the difference by lowering the Genoa three inches, (sinking the sweet spot) and things did improve a little. However, I am still not 100% satisfied. Since I sail primarily recreationally, the new plan is to first unfurl the Genoa and then roll it back in 1-2 turns. This should result in improved Lifeline clearance and improved the ability to trim the sail. By the way, I added a "visibility window" in my new Genoa and have enjoyed it so far. I doubt I'll notice any performance loss.