Genoa? Gennaker? Other?

Afraal

May 29, 2023
Catalina 310 Flowery Branch
Hi guys! our boat came with just a Jib as a headsail. Our previous boat had a 135 Genoa which was great for low wind sailing, so I have been thinking about buying a low wind headsail for the c310. My first thought was a 135 or a 150 genoa. But, I have been reading a bit about furling gennakers, code zeros etc. What would you recommend? We are land locked in Lake Lanier, ga.

thanks as always for all your advice!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With such a cute pup as crew, I got to ask...
What type of sailing are you doing that you need more speed?
Cruising? Daysailing? Racing?

Sails are like car engines. You need the ones that provide the power to your boat in the same way engines provide power to a car be it for going to church on Sunday, drag racing on the streets or challenging the Daytona 500 track.

For lake cruising and daysailing, I like simplicity. An Asymmetrical is easy to control, relatively easy on the pocketbook, and can be managed by a small crew.

The Code sails are more for the race focused and come in several sizes to optimize the performance. Adding a topdown furler for such a sail is as much or more of your boat buck$ as the sail it self.

A 110-135 are an option but they are more suited for heavier winds not "low wind" conditions. They have the advantage of fitting onto the same furler as the jib you mentioned.

All this leads back to the first question... What type of sailing do you want to do?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
If you are cruising, I vote for an Asymetric. If you are racing, you need a sail to allow you to go close to the wind. That says 135 to 150 genny to me.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
If you're short/double handed tacking a 135 is several degrees easier than a 150, though possibly not as close-winded.

I would want a workable 'white sail' combination before going to a gennaker or similar - but as mentioned it depends....

Afraal

May 29, 2023
Catalina 310 Flowery Branch
hi @jssaliem. thank you for your reply. And thanks for the puppy comment!

The answer: daysailing with a small crew. So from your comments it sound like an assimetrical could be the way to go.

But also considering @Hollyberry Comment. Getting a good 135 could be a good first step?

thoughts?

With such a cute pup as crew, I got to ask...
What type of sailing are you doing that you need more speed?
Cruising? Daysailing? Racing?

Sails are like car engines. You need the ones that provide the power to your boat in the same way engines provide power to a car be it for going to church on Sunday, drag racing on the streets or challenging the Daytona 500 track.

For lake cruising and daysailing, I like simplicity. An Asymmetrical is easy to control, relatively easy on the pocketbook, and can be managed by a small crew.

The Code sails are more for the race focused and come in several sizes to optimize the performance. Adding a topdown furler for such a sail is as much or more of your boat buck$ as the sail it self.

A 110-135 are an option but they are more suited for heavier winds not "low wind" conditions. They have the advantage of fitting onto the same furler as the jib you mentioned.

All this leads back to the first question... What type of sailing do you want to do?

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
hi @jssaliem. thank you for your reply. And thanks for the puppy comment!

The answer: daysailing with a small crew. So from your comments it sound like an assimetrical could be the way to go.

But also considering @Hollyberry Comment. Getting a good 135 could be a good first step?

thoughts?
I think so.. A 135 is a big step over the jib, noticeably better in light air and able to carry higher into the wind range than a 150 - and easier to handle, esp tacking. On our boat with furling that's the only headsail we have - it's reefable if necessary. An asymmetrical lets us deal with lighter conditions up to a tight reach. The possible downside of a 135/#2 is a slightly wider sheeting angle due to the shroud location but that is very boat-specific.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Considering the standard rig for a Catalina 310 is:
S.A. Fore:251.16 ft² / 23.33 m²
S.A. Main:242.13 ft² / 22.49 m²

It is rigged as a mast head sloop The query stated low winds and you responded with inexperienced crew, “day sailing” not racing.

I would be inclined to spend money on an asymmetrical. I would invest in a sock and an ATN for the sail rig. There are days when you might sail with just the asymmetrical fore going the main and the work to trim/control it. Day sailing is the type of sailing that generates the quote “Gentlemen don’t sail to windward.”

Gentry stated well…”Sailing a boat to windward requires, above all else, concentration. And this concentration, by the best helmsman, is more intense than any beginner can even hope to comprehend.”

Not to be put off by such phrasing, it is easier on crew, boat and skipper to make long reaches across the lake than to challenge wind and wave bashing to windward. It is easier to sail to windward with a standard jib than a 135 or 150 (my opinion). In light breezes the weight of standard 8oz cloth sail is more difficult to capture the wind than with a 1.5oz nylon asymmetrical. (my opinion).

Lastly the Asymmetrical just looks pretty.

But it is your money, your boat, and your choice that is important.

It might make the decision easier if you talk to a fellow boater and solicit a sail on a boat that has the type of sail you are considering.

Fair winds. :biggrin:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
On my 310 I use the 135 more than the main with winds from 13-20kts and get speeds anywhere from 5.5-7.5 kts, lower wind speeds let say 8- 12 kts I'll use both main and head sail. down wind I'll use the gennaker only . I don't race just cruising in the PNW and I have all the time in the world as I'm retired.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
We have a code 0, haven't used it but a few times because wind is screwy on our lake, but when it works is fun looking to float along with.