gennaker vs spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Prince

I own an 85 H 28.5 with a 110 roller furling genny. I would like to increase the down wind performance and have been looking at some gennakers /spinnakers. I don't, however, know much about the differences between the two and would appreciate any advice about which one would be more advantagous for me. Also would like to know if both require a whisker pole. I don't do any racing and really want the easiest and simplist way to help the extended downwind runs. Thanks for any and all advice. Don P.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Genaker!

I have done some racing, but not on my boat. I also wanted to improve downwind performance. You have to remember with our swept-back spreaders, you can't ease your main all the way, anyway. I opted for a Cruising Direct Cruising Spinnaker. It is easy to set, and does not require a pole of any type. Instead of straight downwind, you have to sail a up a little, 5-10 degrees, but that is a faster sail anyway since it's a broad reach.

S

Stephen Ostrander

RF genny

You might want to consider adding a larger headsail for reaching. The stock 110% genny is a little undersized, you would gain a lot by going to a 125% or 135%.

M

Mark - UK sailmakers

gennaker vs. spinnaker

To answer the question about gennaker or spinnaker, the gennaker is a larger, fuller cut genoa (hence the name) of about 170% LP or so. the asymmetrical spinn. is going to be even larger than that (on a 28.5, the gennaker is @ 400 sq. ft. while a smaller cruising asym. spinn. is @ 675 sq. ft. or bigger) neither require a pole to fly, and most poeple find the asym. spinn. gives better performance for the effort to fly it. Have fun with it. Mark

K

Kevin

UK Sail

I have a UK asymmetric on my 86 28.5 with a "sock". Great sail and down wind performance. It is easy to set and trim, with no pole or the various extra gear needed for a symmetrical spinnaker. I realyl enjoy the 6.0 knots of hull speed in 8 knots of air, while sliding by some of the larger heaverier boats. The only thing to keep in mind is these are LIGHT AIR SAILS ONLY. Also a larger genoa about a 135 will be useful at higher wind speads than the 110 you presently have. I was fortunate to buy a 28.5 with six sails including the asymmetric, so I was able to weed out the useful ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.