Gennaker Halyard Lead for Oceanis 37. Fractional or Masthead?

Apr 14, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Newport Beach, CA
I’d love to get this group’s response to two questions about a gennaker halyard setup for my new-to-me Oceanis 37. I've flown asymmetrical and symmetrical spinnakers on other boats for decades but flying a gennaker is new to me (sock option available). The best I can tell is the boat's common PHRF rating is for a fractional rigged gennaker, however, two highly respected riggers gave me conflicting information while my sailmaker said I could choose whatever I wanted, any combination or both (masthead, fractional, gennaker and/or spinnaker).

My first question is whether a masthead or fractional is a preferred gennaker setup on an Oceanis 37 assuming my sail measurements conform. She’ll be lightly raced with minimal crew while mostly coastal cruising Southern California frequently in 6-18kts of breeze.

My second question is what are some modifications done by group members to the masthead and/or fractional (speckle?) to reduce halyard chaffing and/or ease of handling or improve performance (crane? halyard block? soft shackle? Other?) Photo attached.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My halyard came dealer installed through the fractional fairlead and I haven’t changed it. We haven’t had any problems with chafe with that configuration, although we don’t fly a spinnaker too often.

The masthead setup would probably make port hoists and gybes a bit easier. The sail is pinched pretty close to the forestay with the fractional point. But it would definitely need a crane or something to prevent chafe at that upper sheave.

Apr 14, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Newport Beach, CA
My halyard came dealer installed through the fractional fairlead and I haven’t changed it. We haven’t had any problems with chafe with that configuration, although we don’t fly a spinnaker too often.

The masthead setup would probably make port hoists and gybes a bit easier. The sail is pinched pretty close to the forestay with the fractional point. But it would definitely need a crane or something to prevent chafe at that upper sheave.
Thank you DaviedaSailor26. It looks like I'll be going up the mast next week to feed a string line through the fractional fairlead to rerun the halyard unless I can come up with a creative alternative to save me the trip. Thanks again.