Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken

I am getting delivery of my new B461 (3cabin/2head)next month. Any recomendations for AC generators? Where would you put it?

B

Brian Pickton

AC Space

On our F456 the combination air conditioner /heater fit under the portside settee, forward. The controls were at the nav station. Because we couldn't envision spending life at a dock plugged into shore power and don't have a generator we tore it out and converted the space to food storage. Since we spent the last three years on the hook acclimating and fans have kept us cool. This worked for us. Good luck with yours. Brian Pickton aboard The Legend

L

Larry Watkins

Generator position

I have an 400, but it would seem to me that a boat the size of yours would have a dedicated place for a genset. Perhaps in the engine space? You'll need water intake, exhaust outflow, and sound insulation, all in place already if you go with the existing engine space.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Water Cooled a Must

For a sailboater it's necessary that a genset is as quiet as possible and a water cooled system is a must - air cooled will not cut it. As for suggestions I'd recommended considering two units: The Panda and Entec. The Panda, because of its compactness and soundproofed enclosure. The Entec because of it's soundproof enclosure. The Entec is not advertised as much as the Panda but it has some other features worth considering such as a freshwater heat exchanger which I would put a lot of value on. One could also heat water at the same time. It has Pre-lube bearings before engine starting and various automatic shutdown modes. There is only one model which is rated at 4.2 KW. I don't have their address handy but Entec West is in Seattle on Northlake near the I-5 bridge. A couple dealers are Gallery Marine in seattle at (206)547-2477 and Marine Services in San Diego at (619) 224-1606. I did all this only because of the difficulty in locating a dealer. The Panda advertises everywhere. Also, I'd like to add that I'm not expert on this.

B

Brian Pickton

Crusiseheimers

In an obviously advanced state of cruisheimers I read "generators" and what passes for my brain said "air conditioners". Oops. Sorry for wasting your time. Brian Pickton, aboard The Legend

Jul 1, 1998
that time of the year..

This is for Brian - it's that time of the year for some of us to mothball the boat and go into hibernation. As windows are closed and we start to wear sweaters and jackets, we're indoors more with CO2, the body and brain starts to slow down. We might be taking the last sail of the season this weekend because the summer sails are coming off on Sunday. The forcast for next week is rain every single day!!! This is the northwest so that's the price we pay for living here. They say we have one month of unusual weather per year and it comes in August. It was a surprise to learn that people use air conditioners on thir boats in Alberta but it's on the other side of the Rockies to maybe the air is blocked and heats up more. Thanks for the comment Brian, it was appreciated.

Jul 1, 1998
More on "Entec"

Ken- Just came across a little more information on the Entec West generator. I stopped by the dealer in Seattle, Gallery Marine Services at (206) 547-2477 and got a "sales pitch". The company that puts them together is in Portland, Oregon and they can be reached at (800) 458-5065. They have been puting these generator plants together for over 12 years so the growing pains have been worked out. The soundproofing shield is the best in the business based on an independent test report that I read. While many/most/all? the exterior parts (pullies, etc.) are stainless the mixing elbow, as I mentioned in my earlier post, is not. However, it very seldom needs replacement. The power plant is a Ferryman marine diesel which is made in Germany, and the generator output is 4.2KW. It has automatic shutdown for things like low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, and exhaust cooling failure. Some other positive items I didn't mention previously are: Kevlar cog drive belt (should never wear out), unique antifreeze-coolant tank, and 2-coat epoxy paint finish. It can be hand-cranked to start or will start on one amp of current. All serviceable items are easily reached from the front. The standard package includes owners maintenance and parts manual, oil pump (to change oil), and a few other items. Gallery has a price sheet for options such as waterlift muffler, silencer (for after the muffler) which they say further cuts the db level, ship-shore transfer switch (which I'd consider a must-have at $118.30), and some other items. The list is $7,800 and they quoted me $6,500 for the basic package. Hope you get this and it helps in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.