General upgrade Info

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Sitting here toying ideas, now questions.

Has any Hunter 31 (83-87) owner ever modified the bilge to get rid of the 'odor', seems as though only H34's have done this.

Has anyone ever put a shower pump in the head.

Modified the galley

Installed propane for a point of use water heater

Modified the electrical system for an inverter or an inverter charger

Removed the sea spray roof and the hatch over

Just sitting here enjoying the cool Florida weather. 90

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My first sailboat was a 1987 Hunter 31 and unfortunately I did none of those upgrades. I replaced sails, running rigging, boom vang, life lines and propeller and installed new canvas dodger and electronics (nav display, GPS, radar, vhf radio, stereo).

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Thanks for the reply.
Done much of the same, sanitation piping, electronics, motor mounts, shaft, prop, AC wiring update, DC updates, monitors, LED lights, Painting deck and cabin, vhf upgrades, reseating all portlights and hatches.
But I am looking at specific upgrades, Redoing the head with new vinyl walls, countertop, sink and faucets, love to put a shower in.
Propane locker with 3 feed points; stove, grille, H2O her.
And a windlass.
So I am looking for info.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
propane for a point of use water heater
Initially this sounded like the optimal system, when I addressed the dead water heater on my boat.

I do not live aboard 24/7. These units have additional installation costs to deal with condensation and gas exhaust. The unit would put a hot exhaust chimney on the deck That would conflict with my movement about the boat. Check out the discussion of instal requirements here. The 13 Best Propane Tankless Water Heater Reviews in 2022

I decided that a going from an 11 gallon to 6 gallon unit with enhanced insulation would better serve my boat needs. The use of engine heat to heat water when running the boat auxiliary provides hot water for up to 48 hours depending on demand.

The electric function with a 1500W heater works quickly when turned on in the marina.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Initially this sounded like the optimal system, when I addressed the dead water heater on my boat.

I do not live aboard 24/7. These units have additional installation costs to deal with condensation and gas exhaust. The unit would put a hot exhaust chimney on the deck That would conflict with my movement about the boat. Check out the discussion of instal requirements here. The 13 Best Propane Tankless Water Heater Reviews in 2022

I decided that a going from an 11 gallon to 6 gallon unit with enhanced insulation would better serve my boat needs. The use of engine heat to heat water when running the boat auxiliary provides hot water for up to 48 hours depending on demand.

The electric function with a 1500W heater works quickly when turned on in the marina.
After thinking about the propane it seems like a good idea, to a point. I would Hang off the rear pulpit similar to the propane grille, this would be no fumes from exhaust, (typically bow into the wind). My big concern is flame a fiberglass, i understand they don't play well. At present my boat has no hot water provisions, due to a previous owner removing hoses from the engine, so I am at a little bit of a loss. I am unsure of how to utilize the present Yanmar 2gm20f for a heater.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You would need to understand the coolant water system and attach a hose from the engine to the water heater (WH) intake (assuming the water heater is equiped to use engine heat). Then you route a hose from the WH back to the engine somewhere near the engine heat exchanger.

It is a straight forward connection to a nipple using double hose clamps.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
There are very few tankless propane water heaters for marine use. If you did go this route you might check with your insurance company before you install one.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Been a sailor my whole adult life and I have always cleaned bilges to get rid of odors.
The odor seems to be from water that has gotten between the hull and the sole plate, it does eventually get to the bilge but there is still an odor. The Hunter 34 that is similar to the 31, owners have cut out the bottom of the bilge pocket, thought the 31 had the same design, but not. Rain water is the issue, now down to one leak, for today.