Gelcoat showing its age

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

My Boat was rescued from the back woods of northern New Hampshire. As near as I can tell it had been sitting since 1973 which was the last registration sticker year on the trailer license plate. It had been parked and dropped. There was no apparent attempt to protect it in any way. The cockpit was full of muck while the rest of the boat was covered with a combination of algee, moss, and tree droppings. The past summer was spent on restoration. This included replacing the teak, patching the hull. and cleaning the gelcoat. But I have yet to find a product that will really clean and remove the deep stains that are in the gelcoat. I originally cleaned hull and deck with a mixture of bleach and TSP with good results. But the stains remained and the shine is gone. So if someone out there has a line on a miracle product or process that can pull the stains out and put the shine back in please drop a line. I have plenty of time and elbow greese, and don't mind hard work if it yeilds results. But what I really need is some good information. And what better way to find it than to ask those who have been there. Thanks for your help.

D

Don Evans

Island Girl Products to the Rescue

Check out their products on the link below. Jim Willis the pres hangs out on this site also. I have used their products for 3 years and am a true follower of his chemistry. It's expensive stuff but they work and your description of the condition would put any product (short of a grenade) to the test. They also sell their products here in the chandlery. Check them out under cleaning products. You will not be disappointed. Don

D

Don K

Poly Glow

Poly Glow and poly prep to the rescue. Wet sand the stains with #600 wet sand paper. Use no rubbing compound. 5 or 6 EZ coats of of P G restorer and you will have a great looking hull.

T

Theresa

dis-color

We have use Aqua Buff 2000. You should check it out. www.aquabuff.com

M

Michele

I'll second Island Girl

I'll second Don's recommendation for Island Girl products. He's right when he said they're expensive, but when you see how far a little goes it's worth it. Actually, it's amazing!

C

Charlie Gruetzner

Island Girl

I have been using Island Girl products for the past four seasons and the results are truly amazing. You can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.