Gelcoat repair

Jun 15, 2023
Catalina 28 Santa Barbara
I have try to performed a gelcoat repair using spectrum repair kit for catalina sailboat.

Follow the instructions to the teeth, but unfortunately I might have something wrong. As u can see in the pictures I end up with a more bright gelcoat. First mistake did not do a color match like I should. The parts that concern me are not so much that is the yellow outside of repair areas and the faded area. I imagine this is because of oversanding, maybe I did the small damage area and being so small did not blend with the rest.
Any suggestion what I might have done wrong and what should be done to do it better I really appreciated. Gelcoat repair is new to me.

Thanks in advance
20230717_155701.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've been doing nit picky cosmetic repairs on my gel coat for twenty years and can't find them the next day so I guess they pass muster. I wish I could help you but all I can see is a faded photograph of a light grey background with two slightly darker grey stripes and a reflection at the top. Any chance you could take these in full sunlight at various angles and indicate your areas of concern ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The circled area does look like over sanding with the underlying fiberglass bleeding through.

Slight color variations are common for lots of reasons, but mostly because you are applying brand new gelcoat next to older oxidized gelcoat. All whites are not the same which can also account for the color variations. It is difficult to tell, however the original gel coat looks like it has a little gray in it, the new a more pure white.

To get a better color match you can buy color matched gelcoat for a premium price ($150+ a quart) or you can buy tintable gelcoat and pigments and match your own, a nearly impossible job. A third option is to use a "Color Book" which contains hundreds of sample colors and the formula for making those colors.

1689680494170.png

Jun 15, 2023
Catalina 28 Santa Barbara
Thanks for the reply I will try to take better pictures. I added a link with some more. In order to improve this fix, let's say I tried to color match, should I sand a little bigger area and reapply the gelcoat? is this the right aproach? and then carefully sand it. The yellowish part is the area of concern and the parts where I might have over sanded. I know repair gelcoat is kind of base on expirience, trying to do a good job, but also I am scare I am going to make it worse.

Link to more pics not really the best.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Remember all Gel Coats change with age and UV exposure.

Just my opinion, but I would leave it alone for 2023.

It will never be perfect, unless you have the original White used by Catalina in the year your was boat made.

Jim...

• Helpful

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Boatworks today did a couple episodes on color matching including sanding and blending techniques.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I've found the Spectrum paste kits from CD are about as good of a match that you will find. When ordering, it's so precise that it asks for your specific year of boat. There are several age ranges and a couple different "white" colors. Directions do include a series of sanding, buffing, polishing after application. This finishing treatment does change the appearance, so maybe give it a try. These kits are expensive and do not have a long shelf life. So, do take their shelf life information seriously and don't expect to keep leftover for a project a year from now.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
So, do take their shelf life information seriously and don't expect to keep leftover for a project a year from now.
By way of comparison, I've been able to keep uncatalyzed gel coat in the refrigerator for eight years without any problems. Don't know how long it ultimately will keep as I had used the entire quart by that time.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I once asked in a Sherwin Williams paint store if they could color match and tint gelcoat for me, and they were willing to give it a try.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@jviss - don't leave us hanging! Did it work out for you? How has it aged over time if it matched when you applied it?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
@jviss - don't leave us hanging! Did it work out for you? How has it aged over time if it matched when you applied it?
I never followed through on it, and ended up selling the boat without doing the repair.