Gel Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Glander

I have gel batteries on my hunter 34 and I am still using the orginal 35 amp alternator that came with the Yanmar. Has anyone that is using gels had any problems with over charging. Do I need to change to an alternator that will regulate the volage for gel batteries.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
been doing it for 10 years.

Chris: I've been charging my gel's with the Yanmars 35 amp alternator for 10 years (same batteries) and have not had any problem. We leave them plugged in year round to our charger. The charger I have is not even designed for gels and it has worked OK. I am just now installing a Statpower charger because I plan on replacing the batteries with AGM's and don't want to cook them. I am also thinking about getting the 75 amp Hitachi alternator for the engine. It is a direct plug in without any rewiring. Steve Dion s/v Heather Marie

D

Don Curt

If they are like AGMs.....

If gels are anything like AGMs you want to be very careful about charging at too high a voltage. A sealed battery needs to keep its liquid inside or dry out and premature failure will occur. I know AGMs (sealed) have a very strict requirement on not charging above the recommended voltage since evaporation through the vent valves will occur (yes sealed batteries have a vent valve). I would check the spec from the battery mfg on charging voltage range and follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.