Gear Box Dip Stick ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I have a 2002 H356 with the 27hp Yanmar engine. When I checked the gear box oil dip stick, I am not sure where the high and low fill marks are. On the dip stick, there is a line about 1/4" from the bottom. Then there is a hole 1/4" down from the top near the cap. The dip stick is hollow as well. The oil level is at the low line on the dip stick and I am having no problems and have no leaks. Just thought I would ask others what you are using for high and low marks. Thanks

S

scott wilson

Low line is full line

and my Yanmar (4 cyl) manual says to measure the fluid level w/ the dip stick not screwed in, just resting on the top of the threads.

F

Fred Ficarra

Dave, I pulled out my old moldy, dusty ,,,

NO, that's not what I pulled out! Geeze. I looked in my Yanmar operations book. It seems to say that the very bottom of the stick is the minimum level and the first line above the bottom is the maximum level. Unfortunately, I can't tell if the level is checked with the stick screwed in or with the stick just resting on the top of the housing. You see, it's written in Japlish.

J

J. Tesoriero

The line on the bottom

Scott is right. The line 1/4 inch from the bottom is the max fill line. The fluid level is read with the dip stick inserted and resting on the gear case but not screwed in. The Yanmar people suggest that you clean and the paint the bottom of the dip stick with white paint, as it makes it easier to read. The hole near the top of the tube is a breather vent.

F

Fred Ficarra

What a great site

since 1986 I didn't know the answer till now. What a wonderful web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.