Gauges that do not fog

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Has anyone found a gauge that doesn't fog. My temperature gauge fogs most of the time.

Thanks,
Mark

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Production boats do not usually come with EOM temperature gauges so I would think you may have an aftermarket one which could have been designed and intended for automotive use and their weatherproofing is not up to marine standards. It could perhaps be possible to improve the weatherproofing in the back with liquid rubber but I would suspect most of it would enter through the glass seal, perhaps some penetrating oil might soften the rubber seal to tighten in space where humidity could be entering. The ultimate fix would be to replace the gauge but that may even come with a limited service life as age and the environment conspire against the best of gauges.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Just had to replace my temp gauge because of fogging. Old gauge had a tight adhesive seal
between lens and gauge. When gauge installed nut tightens exterior lip of gauge so gives
really good seal. All other parts of gauge look to be leak proof so would think designed for
marine use but who knows? Think only really expensive gauges which are built with some sort of gas
inside which prevents fogging?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Has anyone found a gauge that doesn't fog. My temperature gauge fogs most of the time.

Thanks,
Mark
As mentioned earlier, if the instrument lights are on, the gauge should clear up. I believe our instrument lights stay on all the time, so maybe the light in your temp gauge is not working.

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
As mentioned earlier, if the instrument lights are on, the gauge should clear up. I believe our instrument lights stay on all the time, so maybe the light in your temp gauge is not working.
Are y
The lights in my gauges only come on when you turn the key to start the engine and then the oil pressure alarm comes on, once you start the engine the oil pressure alarm goes off and the gauges are lit. Are your gauges on 24 hrs without the engine running? I sailed back from the Bahamas for 20 hrs with the light in the gauge on and it was still too fogged up to read. The newer gauges I think have Led bulbs which do not produce much heat, maybe that is the problem.
Consider Teleflex Premier Pro Series Fog-Free Gauges: Jamestown Distributors
That is the gauge I am using.