Gasoline smell in cabin - S2 8.0B OMC Saildrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2009
S2 1980 Ohio
I recently replaced all the fuel and exhaust lines under the cockpit in my 1980 S2 8.0B. Unfortunately, the cabin still smells like gasoline when it is closed up. All of the fuel/tank/exhaust lines are tight and new, it is an old OMC engine and spits out a bit of oil, but nothing unusual for a 2-stroke.

The gasoline smell goes away when the cabin is opened up for a few minutes, but everything in the cabin (books, etc.) have a faint smell of gas to them.

Any ideas on how I can rid the cabin of the gasoline vapor?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Blower

I recently replaced all the fuel and exhaust lines under the cockpit in my 1980 S2 8.0B. Unfortunately, the cabin still smells like gasoline when it is closed up. All of the fuel/tank/exhaust lines are tight and new, it is an old OMC engine and spits out a bit of oil, but nothing unusual for a 2-stroke.

The gasoline smell goes away when the cabin is opened up for a few minutes, but everything in the cabin (books, etc.) have a faint smell of gas to them.

Any ideas on how I can rid the cabin of the gasoline vapor?
Is your blower working? If you had a leak you may have saturated any water in the bilge with gas. Also, check your fuel tank...my aluminum tanks pinholed and failed in my 1981. The fuel tank leaked at the front seam as well as UNDER the mounting straps. It will only take a smidge of fuel to stink up your boat. To find out if it is the tank I suggest using a mirror or running your finger along the edge. I put an absorbant mat under mine to keep fuel out of the bilge. It really is the disaster case for smell, as the fuel floats on the surface giving it a significant surface area. I also put an reusable absorbant boom in my bilge and a bilge filter on my bilge pump line.

Jun 28, 2009
S2 1980 Ohio
Is your blower working? If you had a leak you may have saturated any water in the bilge with gas. Also, check your fuel tank...my aluminum tanks pinholed and failed in my 1981. The fuel tank leaked at the front seam as well as UNDER the mounting straps. It will only take a smidge of fuel to stink up your boat. To find out if it is the tank I suggest using a mirror or running your finger along the edge. I put an absorbant mat under mine to keep fuel out of the bilge. It really is the disaster case for smell, as the fuel floats on the surface giving it a significant surface area. I also put an reusable absorbant boom in my bilge and a bilge filter on my bilge pump line.
Yes my blower is working. When I enter the boat I remove the hatches and open the v-berth hatch. Turn on the blower. Within 3 minutes the smell is gone. Although I didn't check the bilge today I did a few days ago. There was just a trace of greenish water and no fuel. I don't think there is any leak of fuel. I checked the area under the cockpit today, where the motor and tank is, crawled all the way under the cockpit to the transom. I couldn't find any fuel, and only found a bit of oil near the engine which I've found common in 2 stroke motors.

One thing I did notice is that the cabin started smelling when we filled the fuel tank from 1/4 full to 2/4 full. It doesn't seem as bad as it did weeks ago when we put some gas in the boat.

I believe the smell is originating from the motor/fuel tank area, as that is where it seems the strongest.

Jun 28, 2009
S2 1980 Ohio
I'm guessing the smell is just from the outboard-style 2-stroke engine. Oh, to have a diesel! I was in the engine compartment again today. Nothing. No leaks that I can see. Just a stinky engine.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Diesels smell too! Keep an eye on your tanks if they are aluminum. I have to replace BOTH the fuel tank and the potable water tank.

Jun 28, 2009
S2 1980 Ohio
I found if I leave the blower on while I de-rig and button up the boat there is no gas smell in the cabin when I come back. DUH! (Hitting myself on the forehead)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. You should always operate a blower for five or so minutes before and after (and of course while) running a gas engine. Otherwise you may go boom ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.