Gas vs. Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I am comparing two Catalina 30’s. One is gas, one is diesel. Ignoring all other purchase decision factors, what is the level of risk involved in owning a Catalina 30 with an engine powered by gas? Any bad experiences out there? High risk? Low risk? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

G

Greg

Low HP

The difference will probably be in the horse power. If you are referring to the Atomic gas engine I am not sure it has enough horsepower to push the boat effectively. Even the 11 horse Universal diesel is too light for the intended use. This is why Catalina upgraded to the Universal 25 (21 horse) around 1983. The smaller engine pushed the boat fine in calm water but strained a lot in any current, wind or waves. Diesels generally last longer than gasoline engines and the fuel is not as combustable either. Greg

M

Melody Miller

Safer with Diesel

Hi Craig: I have a 76 Catalina with a '97 Atomic Four gasoline engine - 35 horse power. I have no problem with power, but I don't like the idea of having to run the blower fan for five minutes before starting the engine. Running the fan is required to prevent any gasoline leaks in the engine or hoses from igniting and blowing up you and the boat when the engine is turned on. Somehow this just doesn't seem like an inherently safe design even though insurance companies are willing to provide coverage without any additional premiums. Thanks Melody

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

The primary concern here is that gas can blow up (well, gas itself can't blow up, it's the fumes that explode but who can keep their fuel tanks topped off all the time?). Diesel is inherently "safer" in that regard. I would go with the diesel for that minimal safety factor but more for resale value. My impression is that boats with diesels usally fetch more than those with gas (everything else being equal), thus affecting your resale value. Good luck! LaDonna

R

Richard

I have a catalina 30 with an atomic 4

I also have a 27 with an atomic 4. Initially I thought the engine would be to small for a boat that is almost twice the weight, but it is not. I cruise just fine with an atomic 4. The atomic 4 can develop 30 to 35 horse power unlike the average wimpy diesel installed in these boats. Yes there is precautions necessary (running the blower) before starting the engine. Any skipper with a clue opens the engine compartment prior to starting and would notice fumes during his inspection. Blowing up is not an issue. If it was then why are there over 40,000 of these engines out there? If you know about car engines then the atomic 4 is easy to repair and you don't have to relearn the wheel.... Which engine is newer? better maintained? Which boat is in better shape? Let these be the factors not what type of engine. Yes I wanted a 30 with a diesel just to learn the ins and outs of diesels so when I get my next boat I will be ready. The boat I got was in such excellent shape and in my price range that I could not say no to a gas engine. Richard

B

Bob Camarena

I have a 1981 C-30 with the 11 hp Universal Diesel. I haven't had any problems. It's a little under-powered but it's not as bad as some would like you to think. I like the idea of the Diesel (safety, reliability, etc.) but I know a lot of people who have had and swear by the Atomic 4 and none of them have ever blown up. All in all, I think the main consideration is the overall condition of the boat and engine. If you're looking @ boats with the Atomic 4, you're looking at older boats anyway and condition is everything.

G

Gary

Diesel saftey

One gallon of gasoline under pressure is equal to 3 sticks of dynamite.Think about that when you start the engine. I have 28 years of fire fighting experience.Gasoline is DANGEROUS,especially pooled on a vessel. gary

B

Bob Camarena

Atomic 4 - Low HP????

I don't understand Greg's comments regarding the Atomic 4. It is the most powerful of the 3 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.