Gas tank for Cal 30

blavis

Jan 28, 2015
Cal 30 Long Beach
Has anyone replaced the gas tank in a Cal 30? Suggestions? I have only found one place on the East Coast that can make one. The rectangular tanks take me from 25 gallons down to 15 or less. It is trapezoid shaped.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Has anyone replaced the gas tank in a Cal 30? Suggestions? I have only found one place on the East Coast that can make one. The rectangular tanks take me from 25 gallons down to 15 or less. It is trapezoid shaped.
ANY large or small fab shop can and will make a fuel tank in any shape you desire... in your area.
a small shop is the better choice as the large shops may consider the project too insignificant to trouble themselves with....

I build one or two a year for various equipment and it should take about 5-6 hours to cut, bend and weld a tank together, and much quicker if you tell the guy there is a bonus in it for hurrying....

but the bad news is, expect to pay $500-600 for a custom tank of the size you want. add another $300 if you want aluminum or stainless.
and yes, it can be done cheaper without sacrificing quality, and you may be lucky enough to find the guy that will, and I hope you do.... too bad we werent closer, as I know someone who could help you out with a fair and affordable service to fit your needs.

what is the problem with the one you have now?.... ive repaired many rusted steel tanks of all sizes and shapes with a product called POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer, with excellent results. but this is only an option if you have the time to do it right the first time, which is about a week unless you have an air blower that you can create air movement thru the tank while the product cures, then its only a 2 day process..... best of luck.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hmm, Catalina 30. ONLY 6,000 of these puppies have been made.

Gas tank makes it an A4.

C30 Association website and/or Yahoo group.

What's the question again?

blavis

Jan 28, 2015
Cal 30 Long Beach
Cal 30 Gas tank info

Stu: There is a Cal 30 association? How do I get in touch? Can't find them on google. What is an A4?

The tank looks like the steel tank from the original outfitting in the 60's. When I pulled it out (3 hours including some jigsaw work) it looks hideous all around, so sealant was not an option.

Mar 20, 2012
Stu: There is a Cal 30 association? How do I get in touch? Can't find them on google. What is an A4?

The tank looks like the steel tank from the original outfitting in the 60's. When I pulled it out (3 hours including some jigsaw work) it looks hideous all around, so sealant was not an option.
the sealant that I refer to goes inside the tank... it places an epoxy coating on the entire inside of the tank to seal it from any further damage from within, which is where steel tanks usually have the most corrosion.

but even if the corrosion is from the outside, if the tank has the epoxy inside, it can only corrode to the epoxy liner.
and there are products called rust converters that will stop the rust on the outside and create a coating that can be painted over.

it depends on your budget, the time you have to invest in the project, and the availability of a replacement tank.
the process will work for ANYONE who has a metal fuel tank, but some people have the means to purchase new.... the only two differences is cost and longevity... a new tank is more expensive andt is still prone to corrosion, whereas the coated tank cannot ever corrode internally, and with a converter on it, is unlikely to ever corrode from the outside, within the lifetime of the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Sorry, my bad, I apologize, I read Cat(alina) 30 when it was clear you said CAL 30.

A4 is the gas engine used in may boats of that vintage. You said gas tank, so I figured that was the engine, an inboard.

I don't know if there's a Cal 30 Association, but if Google can't find it, I don't know what to suggest, sorry again.

centerline's right. If you have the dimensions, you could perhaps try looking at prefabricated gas tanks. Catalina Direct would be a place to start, then Google "prefabricated (your choice of materials) gas tanks for boats."

Good luck.

blavis

Jan 28, 2015
Cal 30 Long Beach
I ended up having a new aluminum tank built and redesigned it so that the fuel fill and pickup is easier to get at. At the same time I replaced the water tank, and moved the idiot fill fitting so that I don't feel it as I sit at the dinette.

Mar 20, 2012
thanks for the update..... did you find a place local to build it for you?..... and when you say you redesigned it "so the fuel fill is easier to get at", does the tank fill from inside the boat, or is there a deck fill fitting?....

Sep 7, 2015
Cal 2-27 Chesapeake Bay
I just had a custom 15 gallon aluminum tank made by Moeller. All the coast guard test and epoxy coated for a $328.69. Great people to deal with too. Shipping is a little bit more.