Gary “Sherlock Holmes” of Drum Point Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Gary showed up at 9:00 and we headed off into the fog. I ran up and down the river at WOT and cruise speed while he crawled around the engine compartment. You’ve got to admire someone, especially as tall as he is, who will go down headfirst next to that spinning shaft with the set screws sticking out. I sure wouldn’t do it.

He came up a while later and said that he could see absolutely no sign of oil coming out of the bell housing or anywhere else. The engine was hot and we had run long enough that we should have started to see something. We sat there stumped for a while. I suggested that maybe it was getting caught by the vibration damper and being slung around the bell housing so hadn’t had time yet to drip out. Neither of us was very convinced by that.

He went back down again and returned a few minutes later with the answer. Being a smart guy, he decided not to believe my crankcase pressure test and try his own. He pulled the dipstick to do a paper towel flutter test and oil started welling up out the dipstick tube in a solid stream the full width of the tube. That explains the oil found next to the engine which I thought was just accumulated from the difficult dipstick checks and drips from the hose when pumping out during the oil change.

He then had me go down and pull the crankcase vent hose off the engine. Oil stopped flowing out of the dipstick tube. We ran around for a while with the dipstick out and no oil came out. After we got back to the dock, I hooked up the hose and blew through it and it felt very clear. Gary did as well and agreed it wasn’t much back pressure.

With this information in hand, I suddenly realized several design features of the engine. The dipstick is in an external tube that runs in a “J” all the way to the bottom of the sump. That means pressure can push out all the oil in the gear case. The dipstick is also quite short, about a hand span, so the top of the housing is nearer the oil level than on many engines. This engine was also installed at greater than recommended shaft angle. The stick has an “O” ring seal. The crankcase breather tube is supposed to go to a fitting on the intake manifold right at the point where aircraft tap off vacuum to run instruments and cars used to for running windshield wipers. This is clearly an engine which is right on the edge of pushing oil up the dipstick.

It is a classic accident chain such as I saw back when I was studying aircraft crashes. Take out any one item and no accident.

1) RPM must be over 2100 with load.

2) Positive suction on crankcase breather line must be removed. (This is a good lesson BTW in the value of sitting down and reading every word in your engine manual. My engine came with the hose tied next to the intake as on most small diesels and I just never looked in that section of the manual.)

3) Some additional restriction must be added to the breather hose. The oil separator, which Mainesail has used successfully on 30 or more boats, along with an additional couple feet of hose was it.

4) The dipstick must be loose.

Number (4) is a question. The dipstick is pretty much a by feel behind your back item on this boat. I’ve done it so many times I may have mistaken the clunk of the edge of the “O” housing for it being fully seated. I’d just spilled some oil on the floor so I was a bit distracted. The “O” ring also may have gotten old and it vibrated loose. I’m going to investigate replacing it and keep a very close eye on it for a while.

A mystery is why the dipstick tube seemed like the cleanest part of the engine. Probably that is just a function of brand new oil running very hot down the sides. The tube leads right next to the hole in the bottom of the bell housing further confusing things.

Gary said, “Drop me off at the dock and you’re good to go. I’ll send you a bill.”

Well, he could have sold me a new engine this morning and had just figured his way out of a few thousand dollars of work so I said, “No, let’s take it up to your yard and I’ll spend some of that money you just saved me.”

He had his crew of two excellent mechanics go to it. It was a strange experience since I have never had anyone else work on my boat. It was sort of like getting a massage. First you lie down naked which feels really awkward and then if feels, ahhh.. ohh…, wonderful. I see now why women go to spas.

They aligned the engine, adjusted the valves which were tight enough that they were going to give me trouble, probably before I got back to Portland. They also fixed a fuel leak discovered in the morning, adjusted the stuffing box, checked shift and throttle cables, alternator belt, and changed the oil since I had put in some recovered from the drip pan.

Kate discovered that my exhaust hose had cracked and started leaking. Everything is now done except for replacement of that hose which arrives tomorrow. All these are things which I’m in no shape to do right now so I would have ignored them. This engine would not have gotten me back to Portland without further problems and waste of Internet bandwidth.

There is still going to be a sizable bill tomorrow but it’s going to be way less than I thought and some of the best money I’ve spent since leaving Portland. I’ve taken a long shower and soak in the tub at the motel and will take about three more before I go to bed and again in the morning. I’ll be here tomorrow night as well and then go down Saturday morning, put everything back in place in Strider and pick up life again where I was when the low oil pressure alarm went off.

My back is enough better that I think I can safely wait till I get back to Portland for an evaluation. I’m going to be a bit more conservative about getting into overly exciting anchoring situations. If it’s giving me trouble again after a few days of sailing, I’ll rethink that. Stress and worry may have had something to do with how severe this episode of cramping and pain was.

Oh, Drum Point Marine obviously gets my very highest rating, not just for Gary’s diagnosis but for Kate and Christian. I know a thing or two myself and it was a pleasure watching them work, like going to a game and watching good athletes.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
So you owe someone a DOLLAR!!
Well spent...Roger

Almost forgot something.

Roger and his baby in the background...

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Really good news, Roger !! Having a real troubleshooter look it over while running was well worth the dollars.. !! Carry On, Lad !

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
My back is enough better that I think I can safely wait till I get back to Portland for an evaluation. I’m going to be a bit more conservative about getting into overly exciting anchoring situations. If it’s giving me trouble again after a few days of sailing, I’ll rethink that. Stress and worry may have had something to do with how severe this episode of cramping and pain was. ........
Exciting good news Roger! And I think you'll find anchoring around the Bay a pretty simple - and painless - process :) Hope to see you out there ......

Nov 22, 2008
This post on the engine prompted a phone call from someone I haven’t seen in quite a while. He’s not a physical therapist but he has a lot of personal experience with back problems and is a pretty smart guy. The conversation went something like this:

“OK, now that you know you can be so wrong, let me ask you some questions. Why do you think it was the anchoring that caused the recurrence of your back problem?”

“I’m careful with it and that’s the last time I did anything really strenuous in a panic.”

“Did it hurt right then?”

“No, but I was sore the next day.”

“Like what you had last week?”

“No, more like just over using the muscles.”

“When did it start to really hurt and cramp the way it has most of the week?”

“After I cleaned all the oil out of the drip pan and tried to find out where the oil leak was?”

“Were you tense and worried at that point?”

“You bet.”

“What have you been doing since then?”

“Walking up and down the boardwalk, sitting on benches, talking to friends on the cell phone, and worrying.”

“Let’s see, when you were moving and jumping around a moving boat all day, hoisting anchors, handling dock lines, going up and down the companionway, it didn’t give you any significant problems. When you are sitting around not moving or doing much and worrying, it’s giving you trouble. You’re an engineer. Do I have to do this math for you?”

Wow, I sure hope he’s as smart as Gary at Drum Point Marine was today.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I bet your back feels better now. The tune up and the expneses you are incurrying now do improve the reliability and the chances that you will complete this trip without major problems. Like I said a while back these little engines are tough. Now that the boat is in good shape you need to take a vacation. R & R for the Captain. For the next two to three days just sail around, have some good food and rest without thinking about the trip. When you are ready then head out with renewed determination. You got a whole crew behind you.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
It is always darkest before the dawn.
Thankfully dawns light has surely eased your worries.
Money well spent on Gary "Sherlock Holmes" which should see you clear back to Maine.
I'll look for you near NYC.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Great news Roger! I don't know if you give much credence to John Vigor's "black box" theory but it sure looks like you may have gotten back some of the points you've been unknowingly accumulating all along by keeping us updated with your travels.

Nov 22, 2008
I don't know if you give much credence to John Vigor's "black box" theory ....
http://www.johnvigor.com/Black_Box_Theory.html

I don't know. When I was cruising with Lee and Lynn, we joked about the "Roger Weather Bubble". Thunderstorms would go just north of us. Squall lines would have holes melt in them and we would just get rain while we could see lightning north and south. We would get the anchors down just as it started to rain.

I like to think I was as good a pilot, for my hour level, as I am a sailor. An instructor with about 20,000 hours was mildly complementary. I once went out on a perfectly clear calm day. I finished my pre-flight and l had this weird thought that I shouldn't fly. A flying mentor, former WWII fighter flight instructor, had told me that the most important flying instrument is behind your belt buckle. I decided not to fly that day as a sacrifice to the air gods.

The next pilot to fly the plane had a rocker arm break on final and just managed to glide into a landing.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Sail Boat

Roger,

Foremost get back to sailing:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/wind_forecast.shtml

Before you leave the south, stop a local liqour store and get some NASCAR Junior Johnson back remedy, his own brand of back muscle relaxor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe__x7aefRc&feature=related

Save all your notes and write them up... before you have the above remedy.

Fair Zyphers,
Ed K

http://www.johnvigor.com/Black_Box_Theory.html

I don't know. When I was cruising with Lee and Lynn, we joked about the "Roger Weather Bubble". Thunderstorms would go just north of us. Squall lines would have holes melt in them and we would just get rain while we could see lightning north and south. We would get the anchors down just as it started to rain.

I like to think I was as good a pilot, for my hour level, as I am a sailor. An instructor with about 20,000 hours was mildly complementary. I once went out on a perfectly clear calm day. I finished my pre-flight and l had this weird thought that I shouldn't fly. A flying mentor, former WWII fighter flight instructor, had told me that the most important flying instrument is behind your belt buckle. I decided not to fly that day as a sacrifice to the air gods.

The next pilot to fly the plane had a rocker arm break on final and just managed to glide into a landing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When we got our boat, a friend with hull #55 gave us a Little Black Box. We have hull #224. He lives in Connecticut, we live in California. Nice box.

I didn't know your engine had a sealed dipstick. I should have thought to suggest that, since one of your posts mentioned your friends with a Universal. One of the first things we did when we bought our boat was to replace the old dipstick since the seal was all dried out.

I have recurring back problems, and anchor often, no windlass. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5064.0.html

"Next time" I'll type in all my suggestions, even if I don't think they apply to your engine! Yeah, right, like most of my other posts...

So glad to hear.

Now, like my mother used to say, "You can start worrying about not worrying any more." :)

Oh, we just replaced our exhaust hose, too. :dance:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
You can also try Dr. Pusser's Painkiller for your back. How can you take a vacation from being on vacation?
All U Get

Nov 22, 2008
I didn't know your engine had a sealed dipstick. I should have thought to suggest that...
I thought of it and someone else suggested it. How all that oil came out and left the dipstick tube so clean that myself and two experienced mechanics looking over the engine dismissed the possibility is one of the remaining mysteries of this whole affair. I expect is has something to do with it being brand new oil that was being pumped out.

I'll be ducking below to check that dipstick every hour or so for a while but I think the direct breather hose lead to a vacuum source with the oil separator bypassed, returning to as designed condition, will eliminate any risk of this happening again.

I think one of the other mysteries has been resolved. The water in the oil pan I discovered during the oil change was from the leaking exhaust hose I didn't know about yet. There wasn't any after the bleed out because the crack had progressed far enough for the leak to be clear of the drip pan. The hose was going fast and I would have had a tale to tell soon even if I hadn't had the oil problem.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Wow Roger! I'm so happy for you! Gotta love a happy ending to the beginning of the next chapter in the saga.

I think I'll take the credit for being the first to mention crankcase pressure way back on one of your threads Roger. Move over experts! Gloat gloat :D :snooty: :dance: nah, really I'm so happy you found a real expert Roger.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
so the chapter has a trick ending. nice! I'm going to be out this weekend so I will not be able to stay current. can you flip forward a couple of pages and let me know if you "get the girl" too?
see you on the waters Roger.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Roger,

Just caught up on everything that's happened with the engine and I wanted to say first that I'm ecstatic you solved it and are able to continue the journey!

Second, If you need extra hands from Annapolis to Long Island Sound myself and another friend who sometimes is on here under the name Argyle38 with a DownEast 38 would probably be able to to come down and help move the boat up this far. We were planning on helping another friend who just bought a Mystic 30 deliver it up, but he had it trucked instead, so are all set for a delivery from Annapolis in a few weeks, with no boat to deliver.

Nov 22, 2008
If you need extra hands from Annapolis to Long Island Sound....
Thanks. I would really enjoy having you on board again. See my latest post though. My back has gone downhill so fast since that post that I couldn't even get the boat out of this slip if I needed to. I have a PT appointment this morning but, unless they are able to work some miracle, I couldn't even make a passage as passive crew at this point. Just the motion in a slip is causing me enough pain at this point that I may have to move ashore to a friend's house.

Right now, I think I'll be going around looking at yards for storage this afternoon. Internet says 6-8 weeks to get an athlete back in the game when this joint is damaged. That's for a healthy joint. Arthritis has been eating away at mine for over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.