Garmn 12 vs Magellan 315 or 320?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

Hi, I'm trying to clarify something about the Garmin 12 GPS and would also welcome any inputs on its performance compared to Magellan's 315 or 320 handhelds. My question is, does the Garmin 12 come with pre-loaded aids to navigation, obstructions and such? I notice that Garmin's product description doesn't say so explicitly and Magellan's comparably priced 315 model doesn't contain aids to navigation either...you apparently have to load them onto the 315 from a $40.00 CD they sell as an accessory. Magellan's 320 model, priced a bit higher than the Garmin 12 does have aids to navigation pre-loaded in. Any inputs welcome, including reviews of these models and votes as to whether having preloaded aids to navigation is a big deal feature... Do some of these handhelds actually have every Can, Nun and other navigational aid on the planet pre-loaded? ...Reds only? Greens only? :) Thanks, Jim

A

Alex

Garmin 12 has no pre-loaded maping info..

..but from sailing magazine I read , it is slightly better regarded than the similar Maggelan. Garmin has the extras that you look for but not in the '12' model.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Garmin 48

Recently purchased the Garmin 48 and it has bouys and the such already installed. The manual states that it is upgradeable via download but checked the web site and it stated it was not. You go figure that one out. I've emailed Garmin and have not had a reply. I'll post a picture of the model 48 showing Annapolis area showing some bouys. Jim s/v Java jrseamans@yahoo.com

R

Ron Doescher

Caution!

Just a word of caution is in order here. I subscribe to the weekly USCG "Local Notices to Mariners" (LMNs). Every week, many of the aids to navigation are moved, removed, added, etc. So, unless you get a weekly subscription service from Garmin and/or Magellan that is guaranteed to match the LNMs, be very careful about using anything pre-loaded into your GPS. Same goes for Navigation Software. I use the Maptech "Chart Navigator" with a CD-ROM full of charts from the the USCG First District areas (Maine to Block Island). Maptech just recently added a subscription service that provides all the LNM "patches" to their charts -- very convenient, but at great cost (about 4x the base cost of the CD-ROM, per year). The "new age sirens-of-the-sea" take the form of electronic convenience items like GPS, electronic plotters, etc. Their effect can be the same if you aren't careful -- you & your boat up on the rocks. --Ron

T

Todd Osborne

Too many points

Having so many waypoints can actually cause confusion when using the unit real time. one of the most useful features of the Garmin is the "nearest waypoints" feature. I get confused just with the 80 waypoints I have manually entered. For example I have several boat ramps entered, but unless I name them specifically (& can remember) they are hard to find on the unit. Once I am in the area, I use the "nearest waypoints" feature & the "RAMP1" (or 2, or 3) pops up & I know I have the right one. With all the other points of "clutter" it becomes more dufficult. Bottom line, enter only the points you will use (IMHO). Maybe all those waypoints are listed seperate, if so, it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.