Garmin GPS 12 problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Johnson

This past weekend, all our on board electronic "died", so I pulled out the backup Garmin 12 to verify my position. This was the first time I had ever needed to use it. I plugged in waypoints off the chart, and the Garmin was off by a "country mile" in both course and distance. I verified that I had entered the correct numbers (I had) but still WAY OFF. Any ideas? BTW, A while back I had compared positions on both the Garmin 12 and my built in Raytheon GPS and they were the same. I guess the only good thing to come out of all this is.. that I still remember how to chart a course the "old fashion way"

R

Ron Doescher

GPS 12

Go into your GPS 12 "setup" menu and verify that it is set up properly: things like the local MagVar, local time offsets, displayed output datum, etc. The MagVar & Datum could account for errors.

T

Todd Osborne

Decimals of minutes or seconds?

This one will throw ya every time. Check to see that your garmin is configured to display the same measurements as your readings off the chart. Garmin units allow you to use either seconds (max is 60) or decimals of minutes (max unit 100) From here, you can read 60seconds on the map and have to enter 100 if your unit were set to read decimals (if you entered 60, your Garmin would be off by .4 minutes). Personally I prefer decimals, I read them as %of minutes, it's easier for me to guess fractions when reading a large scale chart. Here are the formats as I can best recall without looking at my unit: DD,MM,SS 47, 32, 59 DD,MM.MMM 47,32.999

J

Jim

Garmin 12 vs Magellan 315 or 320?

This is a bit off the main topic here, but am trying to clarify something about the Garmin 12 GPS and would also welcome any inputs on its performance. My question is, does teh Garmin 12 come with pre-loaded aids to navigation, obstructions and such? I notice that Garmin's product description doesn't say so explicitly and Magellan's comparably priced 315 model doesn't contain aids to navigation...you apparently have to load them from a $40.00 CD they sell as an accessory. Magellan's 320 model, priced a bit higher than the Garmin 12 does have aids to navigation pre-loaded in. Any inputs welcome, including reviews of these models...

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

GPS 12

The GPS 12 does not have preloaded navigation points. It is a great little unit anyway, though. Its very easy to load waypoints, and simple to set up routes, and select destinations with. I would suggest that if you are interested in a GPS you visit a local marine store where you can handle one. Brand choice should be based on your comfort level with the machine, and with your ability to find someone who can make it work. Quality and functionality will be similar. My personal choice is for Garmin every time. I find it the easiest to use by a long shot. YMMV, though. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.