Garelick Motor Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

I have a 1976 O'Day 25 with an old motor bracket manufactured by Garelick. It has 2 broken springs in the lifting mechanism so I figure it must be the original bracket. I have a new 9.9 hp Mercury 4-stroke engine. Question 1: will an old bracket hold a new 4-stroke engine? I may have to consider buying a new mount for the coming season. I found a new Garelick mount online for under $200 (not much under)but it does not state it is specifically for 4-stroke engines. It says it "fits all types of engines". I would like to replace my old Garelick mount with a new Garelick since the holes should match up and that would minimize any new drilling. Do all new engine brackets accomodate 4-stroke engines? I would appreciate any feedback with information. Ed

N

NEIL WALTERS

Garelick Motor Mount

I Have an O'Day 26 ft sailboat, and I replaced my 9.9 2cycle Johnson with an 8 hp Honda 4 cycle that weighs 110 lbs. I was told to get a Garelick Offshore bracket because of the higher torque of the Honda. MY old motor mount was to small for the bracket. I soon found out one problem led to another, but it all worked out with some patience and thought. Because of the foward slant of the transom I needed to make a wedge shaped block so the motor would be verticle. I deceided to make it out of marine board. I found some scrap marine board at a plastic supplier, but its only 3/4 inch thick. I bolted 3 peices together to hold it, the damn stuff is so slippery . Then I shapped it to a wedge shape with a portable power planner. I then drilled 5/16 holes at the corners. I could only use 1 of the holes that were in the boat from the old mount. With one bolt holding the mount, I leveled the wedge and drilled a 2nd hole at the bottom where the wedge was thin thru the transom. With 2 bolts in I was easily able to drill and finish mounting the wedge. I was able to do all this with the boat in the water. I forgot, the motor mount was hanging on a line from the stern rail. I had measured for the 4 holes so they matched the holes in the mount. I can't tell you how nice that motor mount is. In fact to lower the motor sometimes I have to put my foot on the bracket to get it down. It comes right up with that 110 lb motor. I have a lot of friends that use a pully system to raise an 8 hp 2 cycle. The biggest problem it getting the motor on the mount, but with some help I was able to do it.

S

Scott

New 4 Stroke comes with more weight

The motor will fit but the lifting capacity of the mount will not necessarily be up to the task of lifting that 4 stroke motor. Make sure you compare the lifting capacity of the springs in the mount to the wheight of your motor.

N

NEIL WALTERS

ED-Motor Mount

Ed, I think if you buy the offshore model which I think you should have with a 9.9 4 stroke, you will have to drill new holes to have the motor properly mounted. In the install directions, you have to measure the distance from under the motor mount to the captavation plate on your new motor. Add that distance to a figure they give you and that determines where the motor mount should be installed above the water line. I hung the uninstalled mount from my stern rail to find the right height above the water made a line on the transom and worked from there. Height above the water is very important to properly install the motor mount and that is determined by the length of the motor shaft. When you get the mounting bracket it is in the up position and you DO NOT try to put it in the down position unless it is installed on the boat with a motor. The springs are so strong I don't think you could do it anyway. It is the nicest motor mount, well worth the $239 they cost.

E

Ed S.

http://www.garelick.com

I have also choosen the 8hp 25" Honda 4 stroke for my 025. I was leaning towards the Yamaha 8, but the Honda has more cc's, slightly lower rpm, and 12 amp charging compared to the Yamaha 6 amp. Garelick makes a 14 inch lift bracket for 4 strokes. Go to the PDF page for information. It's really two 2 stroke brackets side by side supporting the same engine board. The bracket has a wider footprint on the transom for more lateral support. I am having the transom reinforced, not just backing plates. The starboard lazarette opening has been boxed in (fiberglass) to make a cockpit locker for the 13 gal. fuel tank. Drains to the cockpit. The motor is being relocated to port for weight balance. Batteries also on the starboard side.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Engine Mount

Ed - Like the others have said, you'll likely need a new mount. While you're doing it, don't forget to use a nice piece of lumber or starboard for a backing block. I agree that Garelick's offshore is a nice mount if you get enough vertical travel out of it. I couldn't use it on my boat but you may be able to. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

J

Josh

Modifying the mount...

Hey all, Scott went with the wedge, I went without. My boat had the wedge on it, but the way the through hull bolts were tightened, it was putting unusual stress on the backside because the two surfaces for the head of the bolt and nut were at diffrent angles. What this was resulting in was that all the effort from the washer behind the nut was being put into one small point and it was cutting into the transom. I dont know what manufacturer it is, but it was way too heavily built for the engine. If I disengaged the motor mount, the engine came flying out of the water with a slam. I also had to put nearly a lot of my weight onto the engine to get it to go down! I removed the wedge and modified the motor mount. First, I disassembled my mount, removing one of the huge springs to lessen the effort to move the engine up and down. My mount has two long arms of aluminum that move in unison when it moves up and down. I removed the bottom one, shortened it by two inches, drilled some new holes into it, and reinstalled it. This leveled out the motor mount. I like this much better then the wedge! It allowed me to place a large peice of aluminum to back up the transom. It's a lot more sturdy, and I can actually hang off the back of the boat without give from the mount or transom. I know it can hold my engine or any other one I want to put on it. You'd think that motor mount manufacturers would do this to begin with. You give them your transom rake and they give you a mount to fit that angle... Josh

S

Stu Timm

Garelick Mounts

I have a 22 foot O'Day with the reverse counter on the transom. The Garelick mount I bought to replace the flimsy mount that came with the Oday is great because it can be altered to work on a reverse transom. BUT LIKE EVERYONE SAYS: WATCH WHAT HEIGHT YOU MOUNT IT! I mounted mine too high and rather than make swiss cheese out of my transom, I sut down the mounting bracket plate and altered the pitch of the motor to help it bite more into the water. I have a Johnson 6 two stroke (about 65 lbs) and it works great on the mount. I had to cut one or two of the 6 springs on the mount to get it to work the lighter motor. The mount is rated for up to 12 hp 0r 125 pounds. I reinforced the transom with a 3/4 inch piece of marine ply as a bolting flange, glued into place for good measure. If you want pics, e-mail me and I'll sned you some. This site cannot handle large photo files. I am : mitshu@juno.com Happy Sailing Stu Timm "Karakahl" 1979 O'Day 22 CB Centerport, LI, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.