Galley Foot Pump Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 30 Cundy's Harbor
Anyone ever had to repair/replace their Whale-Gusher galley foot pump? Mine is leaking and I cant seem to get to it. I was able to remove two of the four mounting screws. Couldn't get to the two aft screws. Any ideas.....

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Sean,

Thanks for the laugh! Great post, can't tell you how many times I've cursed and had knuckles that looked like yours.

Bob

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
You know Sean its funny, I noticed in your pic when you removed the Whale Gusher pump, that it was manufactured in Bangor, Northern Ireland, where I grew up. Unbelievable that this tiny lil' seaside town had the capability to produce it, but its not surprising that u give off about that pump. It seems synoymous with Irish pholosophy: difficult to remove once set in place, hard working & reliable but completely manual - loves to make you toil with manual labor, sweat, & back breaking work, the Irish Way!

Jun 30, 2009
You know Sean its funny, I noticed in your pic when you removed the Whale Gusher pump, that it was manufactured in Bangor, Northern Ireland, where I grew up. Unbelievable that this tiny lil' seaside town had the capability to produce it, but its not surprising that u give off about that pump. It seems synoymous with Irish pholosophy: difficult to remove once set in place, hard working & reliable but completely manual - loves to make you toil with manual labor, sweat, & back breaking work, the Irish Way!
Small world....my brother-in-law is from Whiterock which is just a couple mile south of you. My mom was from Rock Chapel down below!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I had issues with mine. I removed it for a while and plugged the hose. I thought about keeping the ice box unplugged and use the hose for a raw water wash down system but I got a break and got my hands on a foot pump for free. I ended up re-installing it for now.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Cheers Sean - it really is a small world. Not surprised though to see so many fellow Irish sailors out there - & in the U.S. I guess we were destined to sail, since we're from a tiny lil' Island on the edge of Europe, surrounded by some of the most challenging but treacherous waters anywhere. I remember those huge gails in the Irish Sea. Bangor and Groomsport & Ballyhome are all naturally protected by the Strangford Loch.
My mother's side of the family went to New Zealand - another home of great sailors, and georgeous waters. I'll have to visit there someday......

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
P S. I never use my icebox as my P.O. installed a stand alone refrigerator in place of the stove that was never used. My foot pump was also removed before I got the boat. Wouldn't the icebox naturally drain into the bilge anyway / eventually, or does that funky water just get trapped in there?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I allowed my ice box run to the drain. It did okay but it made for a wet bilge when on the boat. My bilge has been dry since I switched packing material for my shift.

The big problem with draining the ice box to the bilge would be if you had milk spill in your ice box and it gets into the bilge and creates a stink. There are many food items that could cause a mess in your bilge.

You can buy parts and gaskets for your foot pump. Look it up in google by brand and you can locate the parts and part list. There is a rebuild kit for the pump as well. They are made of plastic so eventually they will fail.

Not sure what the future will be for my foot pump. I may eventually go back to allowing in the ice box to the bilge. I would love to have refrigeration but that is an expensive ticket item that I am not sure if I would really need.

Jun 30, 2009
Cheers Sean - it really is a small world. Not surprised though to see so many fellow Irish sailors out there - & in the U.S. I guess we were destined to sail, since we're from a tiny lil' Island on the edge of Europe, surrounded by some of the most challenging but treacherous waters anywhere. I remember those huge gails in the Irish Sea. Bangor and Groomsport & Ballyhome are all naturally protected by the Strangford Loch.
My mother's side of the family went to New Zealand - another home of great sailors, and georgeous waters. I'll have to visit there someday......
Yeah - I'd say there's some fate involved! Strangford Loch is beautiful....my brother in law is a mad sailor. When ever I take him out he can't relax....always tweaking the sails. Can't wait to get back there and have some pints at Daft Eddies pub

Jun 30, 2009
I allowed my ice box run to the drain. It did okay but it made for a wet bilge when on the boat. My bilge has been dry since I switched packing material for my shift.

The big problem with draining the ice box to the bilge would be if you had milk spill in your ice box and it gets into the bilge and creates a stink. There are many food items that could cause a mess in your bilge.

You can buy parts and gaskets for your foot pump. Look it up in google by brand and you can locate the parts and part list. There is a rebuild kit for the pump as well. They are made of plastic so eventually they will fail.

Not sure what the future will be for my foot pump. I may eventually go back to allowing in the ice box to the bilge. I would love to have refrigeration but that is an expensive ticket item that I am not sure if I would really need.
For what it's worth, my ice box also drains to the bilge. It's tee'd into the suction of the bilge pump with a cut-out valve. Just got to remember to shut the cut-out valve when you leave the boat or the auto bilge pump won't work as effectively and run longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.