G23 Knockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harvey

I was sailing last evening on lake Ontario and I think that I narrowly escaped a knockdown. Winds were about 30-40kph with stronger gusts of probably up to 60/kph. The Genoa and main were out and completely reefed tight. A sudden strong gust hiked the boat over, very close to water coming over the cockpit. And I'm pretty sure that that the water line was close to, if not touching the cabin window. I attemted to stear away from the wind to slow down but instead I turned further into the wind and the boat almost went over (I think). I released the mainsheet and changed my underwear Was I close to a knockdown or am I being a sissy. Has anyone ever heard of a G23 capsizing? Harvey

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Kilometers or Knots per hour?

You say kph which usually means kilometers per hour. That would roughly translate to 15 to 20 knots of wind which is a nice ride for a Grampian. That cold front which came through late yesterday afternoon and early evening had some good gusts in it, but nothing that should worry you. You say you were reefed, so the next thing is remember the lessons you learned when sailing dinghys - when sailing off the wind, bear away in puffs and harden up in lulls.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Oh yeah!

There have been numerous close calls with our G-26. Lost our forestay during a race start last year when the winds were just howling. That was interesting - we then made a very sharp turn to get the wind behind us so we could make a temporary jury rig so we could get back to shore. We have lots of hairy stories from the races from Oakville down to the Burlington Bridge (CCIW Tower) and back.

Sep 26, 2005
Grampian 23 -
Rails in the water

I have had the opportunity to have water come into the cockpit. The wind was gusting to about 20 knots and it was fun. I have the keel ballasted G-23 and never felt uncomfortable. The boat responded to the helm until she was so far over, I just let go of the mainsheet. Her head came into the wind and we were off again. Yeah, I saw the water up to the window. Then again, I like that kind of stuff. But great little boats these are. I have been on the hard doing a big repair/re-core and hope to be in the water in six months. Cheers

R

Rick O'Connor

Knockdown

I experienced a similar thing in 1997. In my case an afternoon squal came out of the east with winds in the 30-40 knot range. Yes, the boat rails were wet and someone down below said they could see the Intracoastal through the port windows. I have a G-26 and I had out a lot of sail. I managed to release the main, get the genoa down and right the boat but it was an underwear experience (as you said). I have never heard of one going over. I do pay closer attention to afternoon thunderstorms now and do not hesitate to change sails if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.