Future Impeller Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Cook

I recently owned a 42 Passage which experienced several problems with blocked salt water engine cooling water intakes and, consequently, burned-out impellers. Fortunately the impeller location was readily accessible and the impeller easily changed. I recently acquired a new 450 Passage where the impeller location is not accessible. I am concerned with future problems here. Have 450 owners expeienced these problems and, if so, how have these problems been addressed?

M

Michael Duff

Tight Fit

What type of engine do you have??? This is a true question because the over heating on "most" diesels can be found where the end of the heat exchanger dumps hot sea water back to the exhaust from the heat exchanger... For example on the Yanmars this fitting has a very tight elbow arrangment and very often collest silt debris etc and restricts the flow of the hot sea water into the exhaust...once demonstrated to you this job is faily easy to perform with a piece of bent wire etc. I nevr run my diesel at dock for any extended periods unless the transmission is gear and the prop discharge is pushing any debris away from the sea water intake... Most diesl run hot and I have been told by my mechanic not to be too concerned unless the temps exceed 90 C. (his opinion) Also, towing a loaded inflatable dingy raises my temp by at least 5 degrees.... Cheers and don't lose your cool on this one!!!!! Mike

M

Mike Pilolla

May Be A Solution From Yanmar

Many 450 owners have this concern, including me. In talking with several other owners, one told me that there is a potential fix, but would require more than two or three 450 owners doing it at the same time to make the tooling affordable and worth while. I haven't heard anything new about this. Gordon Myers, Captain of Utopia, III may be able to shed some light on this if he reads this. Are you out there Gordon? Please let us all know if you find out anything encouraging on this. Thanks, Mike Pilolla s/v Carolina

A

Anne Castleberg

No Problem yet - Concerned for future

We have a H450 - no impellor problem yet. However we are planning an extended cruise so would be interested to hear about any fix. Avoiding a problem makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.