furling main

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Has anyone replaced their original furling main ,with one with vertical battens increasing the roach ,giving 20 -25 % more sail area. Looking for some feed back before making the plunge

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My original main had vertical battens that were somewhat thick and pockets with Velcro closures; definitely had problems with hang ups clearing thru the mast slot. Five years ago, I had a loft modify the sail to include Neil Pryde’s thin battens and redesigned batten pockets that eliminated the Velcro. Problem solved no more jams. It helps to release sheet & Vang tension and to furl head to wind or wind slightly from port side, also slight tension on outhaul to get a tight wrap of the sail inside the mast. I can’t comment on the performance aspect as I only changed from one vertical batten to another. As expected, you’re not going to get the performance of a conventional sail with horizontal battens; however, the performance will be better than furling main without battens because of the larger roach on the sail that is cut for vertical battens.
When I eventually replace my main, I will purchase another Neil Pryde with battens; I think that they have a better understanding of Beneteau’s in mast furling system.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Thanks that's what I'm at ,Neil pride has quoted ,UK, north and precision.so for Neil pride and north have told me the slot had to be min 5/8 opening some beneteau masts had a smaller slot.North says they have gone to thinner battens,have not heard yet from others

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I replaced my 2004 Hunter 386 furling main with a partial batten main from UK Halsey in 2012 and it worked great. Contemplating replacing my non-battened main with a partial battened main on my 2005 Hunter 46. That is what UK Halsey quoted for me recently.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My 323 had the vertical battens and no hollow in the main. I cannot speak to performance increase as it was the only main sail I knew on the boat, but thought you had to be careful unfurling when you arrived at the batten it always furled and unfurled without any real problems. The worst I would have to do was furl it in a couple of inches and pull it back out. The problem always happened when someone was winching it rather than just pulling it out. I would do it given the choice if performance is important for racing especially.
Dan