Furling main, halyard replacement Hunter 33 2006

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Hunter 33 Penetanguishene
I am planning to replace main halyard on my H33 2006 with furling in mast. Original was, I think, some kind of premium like Dyneema, but I am not sure. Will the 3/16 polyester braid be sufficient? I am just cruising on Georgian Bay /Great lakes.
Also, does anyone know the length required? I am away from the boat and cannot measure right away, but would like to purchase the rope before going to the boat next week.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The manual for our boat specifies a dyneema core with a polyester cover. A polyester double braid would be too stretchy for this application and you would need a much larger polyester line for similar breaking strength. If the high performance line is putting a pinch in the wallet, take a look at Robline Admiral dynema with a polyester cover. Same performance as New England Ropes at a better price point. NER manufactures both lines.

Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 7.12.14 PM.png

If you don't have a manual you can download a copy from here:
Index of /wp-content/export

Attachments

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Thank you kbgunn,
I will check if any of the lines you suggested are available here in Canada.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Thank you kbgunn,
I will check if any of the lines you suggested are available here in Canada.
Go in and talk to the rigger at Fogh Boat Supplies, Port Credit marina. They have all types of line and very knowledgable.

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Thank you Scott B, I just did that a few days ago, and replaced my halyard last weekend. The advice from Fogh Boat Supplies was really helpful. Highly recommended.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Thank you Scott B, I just did that a few days ago, and replaced my halyard last weekend. The advice from Fogh Boat Supplies was really helpful. Highly recommended.

Thank you to everyone who replied.
Whats the name of your boat, , if you get up to the Parry Sound area give us a buzz. We used to be at Bay Moorings Penetang, but moved up to Parry Sound 8 yrs. ago.