Furler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2005
Catalina 30 Punta Gorda, Florida
I need to replace the continuous loop furler line on my Hood 810 Seafurl LD. Any advise on where to get the line and how to perform the replacement? Thanks. John

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Basic stuff ...

For the line you can use any polyester (Dacron) double braid. IIRC the diameter is 7/16", but it might be 3/8 or 1/2. Check the existing line. Hood LD's don't tolerate the wrong size very well. For the splice: http://www.neropes.com/splice/ You want the Double Braid Constant Diameter Splice. It won't be as lumpy as the drawing shows. Hood had a modified version of this splice. Instructions for the splice came with the furler. I haven't been able to find the instructions for Hood's version on the net. The Hood splice was a shorter version of the New England Ropes splice and is not as strong. I've been using the NER splice for years, it uses a bit more line, but "Nothing too strong ever broke". :) You'll need about 17 feet of line to work with for the splice. For a 30 I'd get 75' of line. I normally cut the old line and sew the new line to the end of the old one and use the old line to pull the new one through all the lead blocks, the furler and back to the cockpit for splicing. The end for end splice can be tricky. If you haven't spliced double braid before you might want to get and extra 20' or so and to a practice splice before you try it on the boat. Your second splice will be twice as good and take half the time of your first. If you aren't comfortable doing the splice, call a rigger out to the boat to change the line for you. Expect to pay about 1 hour plus travel time and materials.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Rosehaven, MD
Hood

I replaced mine this spring. I ordered it directly from Hood (Pompanette) in order to make sure I didn't mess it up. I chickened out on splicing the line myself and had the rigging folks at the marina do a Pro job.

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Replace the LD unit

Pompanette offers a replacement lower unit for the Hood 819 Sea Furl that converts it from the continuous loop to a single line unit that can acutally be used for rooler REEFING the headsail. I cured my objections to the my 810 by selling the boat, but as I recall, the price for the upgrade was in the area of $350 for the kit. Your replacement line for the 810 will cost in the area of $75 - $100, so for a little extra, you can have a much more usable furler. Steve Alchemist C-30T #4764 (still with the Hood 810) Alchemist C-320 #909

Status
Not open for further replies.