fuel/water separator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have a 10 hp 2 stroke dingy engine and a honda 2000 generator.
I carry gas in two 5 gallon jerry jugs. I move the gas to the fuel tanks with a squeeze bulb on a long fuel hose.
I'm thinking of adding a filter to the fuel hose to clean the fuel of dirt & water at the time of transfer.

1. Looking for suggestions on very small fuel/water separators.
2. Will I easily be able to push or pull gas thru the filter with my squeeze bulb setup?
3. How long can 2 stroke gas/oil mix sit in the dingy tank if the gas has ethanol, before more phase separation happens? I burn thru the little honda genset tank fairly quick. But my 9 gallon dingy tank can last a month.

Thnx

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have had water contamination in the generator tank from a heavy downpour but never had water enter a properly closed gas can. There are a lot of small marine and automotive fuel filters but don't know of any small water separators. After all they will need a chamber to hold water. There is a funnel which will filter large particles of dirt and separate water from fuel and is available in most chandleries. It is possible to add an inline fuel filter to the squeeze bulb set up and it will work fine. A high micron filter in a water separator would likely be another story. Don't know how long the gas/oil mix lasts as I don't let it sit that long. For the small outboard I carry a 1 1/2 gallon can which I refill and mix with oil as needed. Any left over goes into the lawn mower at home. It also helps with the mosquitoes. I have one theory and that is if the manufacturer did not include a fuel filter in their equipment and it works fine it may be because is not necessary. I have added fuel filters to outboard engines but have not been able to confirm wether they earn their keep. Do consider that you are adding more opportunities for something to go wrong and additional maintenance item in replacing the filter.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Water can come from condensation, the jugs are on deck.
Water can come from ethanol fuel.
Water can come from leaking jug nozzles.
Water could already be in the fuel.
Water could come from accidentally leaving the nozzle off (dooh).

Ethanol is my biggest concern.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
All fuel has water in it and can accept an added incidental amount from condensation and still burn fine. To preserve gasoline and reduce ethanol problems a fuel additive is recommended. Check with your preferred chandleries for in-line filters available.

Status
Not open for further replies.