Fuel vent on 34 needs raised

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim oursler

it has taken a long time for this to sink in, but I've come to the conclusion that my fuel tank vent is too low. Seems whenever adding diesel, always get spillage from the vent. Has anyone else had this problem on the 34?

B

Bill

Me too

It takes two of us to fill the tank. One to wield the pump handle. One to crouch in the aft berth eyeballing the rise of fuel in the translucent tank, and to call out when it approaches the top. That at least is how we do it! Had to wipe pink diesel off the transom on two filling occasions before we came up with the trick.

C

Clyde Lichtenwalner

Yup

Very hard to fill without a spill. If the vent line has never been replaced it is now time. Check the fill hose as well. I replaced both. No need to raise the vent through hull that just happens to be lower than the deck fill. Just buy a longer length of vent line and loop it as high into the coaming as possible. I have not dribbled since because the vent is at least 5" higher than the deck fill. I have only filled a few times since the mod, and I suppose it is possible to create enough foam when refueling to get a dribble or two out. But I think the problem has largely been solved.

B

Bob Cree

Vent Bottle

I have had the same problem. I made a bottle to trap any vent over-flows. The bottle has a screw lid in which the vent line from the tank is connected. There is a second connection on the lid which connects to the vent on the stern. This allows any diesel coming through the vent to be caught in the bottle and returned to the tank or waste oil later. Bob

R

Rich Wallace

An Easy Fix

The previous owner of my 34 installed a fix for this problem. He installed a whistle device made for a fuel line about a foot above the tank. It whistles as you are putting fuel into the tank because air is flowing out through the vent. At the moment it quits whistling because fuel has reached that level, you stop filling instantly. No fuss, no mess, and you know the tank is full. Happy Sailing!

B

Bruce

I want a whistle!

Rich, Any idea where he got the whistle device? Sounds great and I would like to try that. Can you describe it? If I am going to do anything with the vent line I will also make a loop, but I like the whistle idea. Thanks, Bruce

R

Rich Wallace

Where To Get A Whistle

I don't know where he got it. I looked in the West Marine catelog and found a device which gurgles after the fuel gets to it, but no whistle. I did not look in a Boat US catelog. I thought that it was a readily available product but apparently not. Next time I crawl down into the lazerette, (tough job for a fat old man) I will see if there is a name on the device. As for the size of the device, I am guessing it is about an inch in diameter and about three inches long, made of plastic. Happy Sailing

G

Gary A

Any News On Where To Get A Whistle?

Just curious if anyone knows where to buy one of these? Thanks, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.