Fuel Valve Confusion

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
Is anyone familiar with these valves? A less than stellar engine guy decided on his own to reroute my fuel lines. One of these is for fuel to the engine. The other is for the return line. He didn’t mark anything so I’m assuming the arrow on the handle points to where fuel is routed to.

I have two tanks. There was no reason to make this so complicated.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is anyone familiar with these valves? A less than stellar engine guy decided on his own to reroute my fuel lines. One of these is for fuel to the engine. The other is for the return line. He didn’t mark anything so I’m assuming the arrow on the handle points to where fuel is routed to.

I have two tanks. There was no reason to make this so complicated.

Where does the open end (where the valve isn't pointing) go? I hope it's not "open"?

Assuming (maybe that isn't appropriate in "a less then stellar" environment) that things are routed correctly, the key is from each tank, then supply runs through your filter(s); and the return is unfiltered.

SailMaster, your situation is a bit complicated because YOUR RETURN and YOUR SUPPLY should go to the same tank in normal operations. A good deal of the fuel going to your diesel is returned back to the tank, unused. If you send it back to the wrong tank, you can essentially empty a tank and overflow the other one. (There are other potential consequences if you had one tank that had questionable fuel, and couldn't separate the good from the bad, so to speak). The coordination of is usually accomplished with valves that are linked by "lever arms" in a built-up manifold, like the one we have on our J/Boat. (If the "engine guy" is trying to provide you with some fuel transfer ability between tanks, that would be complicated -- especially if he didn't have a very set procedure, labeling, manifolds, pumps, filter locations, etc.)

Why don't you draw a simple diagram (or annotate some photos) that shows the full system, then it would possible to comment more appropriately.

Why did you reroute your fuel lines? Did you just add a tank? or what?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I have a 20 gallon day tank and a 50 gallon long range tank. I’d like to eliminate one of these three way valves by having only one return line going to the day tank.
SailMaster,

I think it is simpiler to have the supply and return be set by whoever changes tanks as a procedure. There are good reasons for this.

how do you fill your day tank? By pumping from the main tank or from its own fill? How are the vents to the tanks configured?

Where the two tanks OEM? Or were they an "after market" adjustment?

If you want simplicity, I'm not sure where you start or go back to.

Describe the whole system, the relative positions vertically and horizontally of the various components, etc. then maybe it would be possible to think of some solution.

I start from the simplist situation of two tanks feed the engine downstream of a RACOR initial filter, return lines lead back to the tank that the fuel came from. Valves are set to make that happen. Whoever changes tanks, simply make sure the two valves are set appropriately.

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
I like the idea of feeding the day tank from the larger long range tank. Both have their own fill ports. I rarely use the long range tank as the day tank is 20 gallons and that is plenty for my day sailing ops.